Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently purchased a caramel x jaguar carpet python, and he's a bit on the nippy side (as expected) i know with handling over time he should calm down, but was just wondering if anyone has any tips to make him feel more comfortable during our handling sessions, and what other methods people use to tame down nervous/nippy baby snakes? He's really persistent on biting, after a five minute session i'll be left with lots of little holes lol.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I take it that you don't have to much of a problem getting him out.
I find some like to bite, some don't and some are very skittish whiles others placid.
As you now know, it does not hurt getting bit so don't be scared of it! Be confident and precise with your movements, try to not move too quickly as to startle it as this will make it strike out.
Hold it from underneath, don't touch it and let it explore your hand/arm and get used to you, after a while it learn you are not a danger and soon calm down.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I find hooking them out and moving your hand closer every now and again is good that way your not grabbing them and they're coming to you. There's a video on YouTube type in handling young carpet pythons and it should come up I've never been bit doing it this way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, i dont like to wear gloves cos it leaves us both desensitized from each others feeling, if that makes sense lol? Also getting tagged by such a small guy isn't a problem, had much worse from my boas, and borneo's haha! Had a really positive handling session today, he struck once or twice then seemed to calm right down, i never put him back after biting so he knows he hasnt won! :2thumb:Might start tap training him, or should i wait until hes a little more placid? Thanks

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Cheers guys, i dont like to wear gloves cos it leaves us both desensitized from each others feeling, if that makes sense lol? Also getting tagged by such a small guy isn't a problem, had much worse from my boas, and borneo's haha! Had a really positive handling session today, he struck once or twice then seemed to calm right down, i never put him back after biting so he knows he hasnt won! :2thumb:Might start tap training him, or should i wait until hes a little more placid? Thanks
imo if you don't wear gloves,your asking the snake to get used to being handled and the heat signature of your hand,all at the same time,by using gloves your breaking it down into 2 parts,first get him used to the handling,then get him used to the heat of your hands

i know you are not fussy about the bites with such small teeth,i would be worried about him breaking teeth

imo your better to wear gloves in the begining...

i wear gloves then handle for 5 minutes,letting the snake run through my hands,once he lets you handle him gloved for 5 minutes,move it up to 10 minutes,once he doesn't strike with 10 minutes gloved,move it up to 15 minutes,once he comes out and gets handled for 15 minutes gloved.....

handle him gloved for 5 minutes,then after 5 minutes take 1 glove off,let him run through your gloved and ungloved hand,once you build up the length of time to 15 minutes without issues...

take him out and run him through your gloved hands for a few minutes,then take 1 glove off and run him through your hands for 5 minutes,then take both gloves off and let him run through your bare hands,again building up the time he's out the viv

as said,once they get a bit of size about them and realise you are not going to eat them,they usually calm down

cheers shaun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imo if you don't wear gloves,your asking the snake to get used to being handled and the heat signature of your hand,all at the same time,by using gloves your breaking it down into 2 parts,first get him used to the handling,then get him used to the heat of your hands

i know you are not fussy about the bites with such small teeth,i would be worried about him breaking teeth

imo your better to wear gloves in the begining...

i wear gloves then handle for 5 minutes,letting the snake run through my hands,once he lets you handle him gloved for 5 minutes,move it up to 10 minutes,once he doesn't strike with 10 minutes gloved,move it up to 15 minutes,once he comes out and gets handled for 15 minutes gloved.....

handle him gloved for 5 minutes,then after 5 minutes take 1 glove off,let him run through your gloved and ungloved hand,once you build up the length of time to 15 minutes without issues...

take him out and run him through your gloved hands for a few minutes,then take 1 glove off and run him through your hands for 5 minutes,then take both gloves off and let him run through your bare hands,again building up the time he's out the viv

as said,once they get a bit of size about them and realise you are not going to eat them,they usually calm down

cheers shaun
Cheers shaun, i'll try this i didnt think of it like that tbh :) BTW your diamonds are stunning! Phwarrr :lol2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts