Reptile Forums banner

Non-Feeders? - Borrow a Hamster!

770 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jesse1986 
#1 ·
Hello all, just thought I'd share an experience I have had recently regarding some of my non-feeders.

I have read of people's experiences before whereby a live rodent has been placed in the same room as non-feeding snakes (not for eating, in a separate cage) and has provoked a feeding response, but I have always sort of turned my nose up at it and put it down to coincidence.

Anyway, my neighbour went on holiday a week ago and I agreed to hamster-sit. I have snakes in 2 rooms in my house, with some non-feeders in both of them. When I say non-feeders, I mean not having fed this year rather than a week or two.

First of all the hamster (in its cage) went into a room where I have an adult male and an adult female that last fed in December 2009, after 3 days I offered them each a feed and both took it! - Coincidence I thought and a change in temperatures/daylight hours. So I offered the non-feeders in the other room (sub-adult male and female, female not eaten this year, male not eaten since Feb) and as usual they turned away from the food.

I moved the hamster into the room with these other non-feeders and 3 days later offered a feed again, both ate!

Is it the constant smell of food in the room or just the right time of year for these particular snakes to restart?

I haven't really convinced myself yet that it isn't still just chance, but thought that it may be of use for others to try if they're worried about their snakes.

PS. All 4 snakes were Royals.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know exactly where your coming from with this one and do agree the smell of a live rodent helps. I have a few that feed on fresh killed mice so I normally cull them in the shed and bring them up, but when I get dodgy feeders but mainly hatchlings for me. If I leave a couple of mice in a cage alive for an hour or so before feeding then I get near on 100% feeding everytime. I think the smell in the room helps get them in hunting mode. And the mice seem totally oblivious as they carry on as normal in the cage. And this is mainly royals too for me.

#10 ·
Hello all, just thought I'd share an experience I have had recently regarding some of my non-feeders.

I have read of people's experiences before whereby a live rodent has been placed in the same room as non-feeding snakes (not for eating, in a separate cage) and has provoked a feeding response, but I have always sort of turned my nose up at it and put it down to coincidence.

Anyway, my neighbour went on holiday a week ago and I agreed to hamster-sit. I have snakes in 2 rooms in my house, with some non-feeders in both of them. When I say non-feeders, I mean not having fed this year rather than a week or two.

First of all the hamster (in its cage) went into a room where I have an adult male and an adult female that last fed in December 2009, after 3 days I offered them each a feed and both took it! - Coincidence I thought and a change in temperatures/daylight hours. So I offered the non-feeders in the other room (sub-adult male and female, female not eaten this year, male not eaten since Feb) and as usual they turned away from the food.

I moved the hamster into the room with these other non-feeders and 3 days later offered a feed again, both ate!

Is it the constant smell of food in the room or just the right time of year for these particular snakes to restart?

I haven't really convinced myself yet that it isn't still just chance, but thought that it may be of use for others to try if they're worried about their snakes.

PS. All 4 snakes were Royals.
Ive noticed similar with mine. Ive never had a refused feed when Ive had pet Rats?? But when I remove the rats, royal stops feeding again :( It even has an effect on my BRB baby who only drop feeds and only eats mice. With my pet rats in the room she strike feeds and will eat rat pups?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.