Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8 snakes that I classified as "poor" or "non feeders" (hatchling corns", 2 of them had never taken a meal since birth, the others were on/off feeders, or being fussy about taking live.

The 2 complete non feeders were now 3 months old and I was beginning to despair - as one of them was my male fire, I would have been devestated to lose him through feeding difficulties.

I tried live on them all first. No response.

So I packed them all up in waxworm tubs, with brained defrost pinkies, also rubbed against a bearded dragon (who tried to eat them!), for good measure....

5/8 of them ate! Including the fire, and a butter who had never eaten... 2 ghosts, and an amel stripe, now one step back up the ladder towards being healthy feeding babies :) The other 3 are in there overnight and fingers crossed some progress for the morning, another butter, a normal stripe and a buttercream in there.

To be honest I was close to just assuming that if they wouldn't take live - it was the end of the line, as I had already tried everything else previously, I assumed i wouldn't get them to take defrost... so I guess the moral of the story is, sometimes taking a step backwards and retrying things does work after all.

Had a good day for feeding - even got 2 royals on their winter fast to take chicks, and even 3/4 of my breeding columbian boas ate.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Great news christy, funny how sometimes they just think.....'yeh ok I will eat now' ...little buggers.

Really chuffed for you :)

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
thats fantastic well done...

i know someone that managed to get a force fed corn ( force fed for months and months.. 6 or 7 at least) eating slowly from live.. to pre-killed and now it takes frozen..
its a great feeling :)

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
Well done. Patience certainly pays. I have 2 June hatchlings who have been kept alive on mousetails, started to eat pinkies a few weeks ago and are now on 2-3 every 5 days. It's a great feeling.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The majority of my "non-feeders" (most were force fed for a while) are eating multimammate pinks quite happily now. They will not have anything to do with mice, live or dead, but instantly strike for multis. Very odd, considering it's not a species they'd find in the wild - I was not surprised when lots of the babies took anole scented without a bother, but multis just seemed a bit of a jump!

Always worth trying different things ... glad you've got them feeding :)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The majority of my "non-feeders" (most were force fed for a while) are eating multimammate pinks quite happily now. They will not have anything to do with mice, live or dead, but instantly strike for multis. Very odd, considering it's not a species they'd find in the wild - I was not surprised when lots of the babies took anole scented without a bother, but multis just seemed a bit of a jump!

Always worth trying different things ... glad you've got them feeding :)
I have found that all but 2 of my none feeders took multis first time, trouble now is trying to get them onto mice. There are 16 in all and i only have 6 small (1:2) colonies of multis so now becoming a problem finding enough pinks

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have found that all but 2 of my none feeders took multis first time, trouble now is trying to get them onto mice. There are 16 in all and i only have 6 small (1:2) colonies of multis so now becoming a problem finding enough pinks
Yes, that's where I am at the moment - trying to get them onto mice! Going to have to scent mouse pinks with multis I think, for a while.

The ones I am keeping are fine on multis, as I keep quite a few of them, but obviously before any of the others are sold they need to be on mice. Still, I'm happy that they're feeding on *something* rather than being force fed!

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any tips on how you keep your multis?

I had a 1.4 group that I kept in a large mouse cage and they chewed through the plastic. The cat brought me one back but the rest are still on the loose!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Mine are in plastic cages, but haven't chewed out thankfully. Metal caging seems to be desirable though, or at least lab style plastic rat cages with no corners they can get their teeth into! Make sure they've got millet and something to chew on (bits of wood etc), and they'll leave the cage alone.

They will survive on normal mouse blocks, but I have found they breed more, produce bigger litters, and grow a lot better when given a cereal/grain mix with just a little dogfood and a fair handful of seeds and nuts. They are not big fans of animal protein compared to mice/rats. They do go absolutely nuts for millet though, I would recommend buying loads of the sprigs and giving them it regularly.

Surprised your cat brought one back. Mine will catch escapee mice, but on the occasions I've lost a multi, I've had to retrieve it, as once cornered they hiss at the cats, and the cats run off. I had one living wild in my rat room for about three months, every now and again I'd see it, and the cats would just back off. I did get her back eventually mind :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts