Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was Just wondering if anyone can give me a list of small/medium sized Turtles that live on land or Tortoises that do not hibernate that are available in the Uk.
Thanks very much.
Powelly.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
The only turtles that live on land are Wood Turtles and Box Turtles, both are relatively small, there's a post on here today about some recently acquired Wood Turtles. Both of these species still require water though as well as a land area.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
No they don't, most species available in the UK are South or Central American, so tropical or sub-tropical.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
yeah i saw the thread on them they look very nice i ecpecially like the fact that you dint have to go threw the hastle of hibernating
Yeah it is good, and takes away the risk that they won't come out of hibernation. Very easy to look after too!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Which are a North American temperate species, as I said earlier most species now available in the UK are tropical or subtropical and don't hibernate.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
North American Box Turtles do hibernate as they come from a temperate zone, but the Boxies that you're likely to come across in the UK will probably be tropical or subtropical, and therefore do not hibernate.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
North American Box Turtles do hibernate as they come from a temperate zone, but the Boxies that you're likely to come across in the UK will probably be tropical or subtropical, and therefore do not hibernate.
Following the ban of import of Mediterranean Tortoises in 1984, many thousands of North American Box Turtles were imported into the UK as "substitute" pet Chelonians. The main species imported were Three Toed (Terrapene carolina triunguis), The Ornate Box Turtle (Terrapene ornata), and the Gulf Coast Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina major). All of these are potentially very long lived animals, and I wonder how many remain in Pet collections today here in the UK. I know quite a few of us have breeding groups whose adults were mainly derived from this period of importation. But it would be good to know how many survive in captivity today?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I missed out, a few years back, when a local petshop had an adult three-toed for sale, rehomed from an old lady who couldn't keep it anymore. At the time I was very poor and couldn't afford it- always regretted that...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts