Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I got an old marine tank thats 4x2x2
I been reading and thinking about maybe getting a bearded dragon.

Would this tank be large enough and would it be suitable to keep one in and also how would i go about converting

Thanks

heres a pic of the thank

·
Registered
217 Posts
when i had a marine tank I decided to keep my snake in it as he was getting a bit big. All I done was scrub it up real nice ;), plugged up possible escape routes and fired on a reptile lid.

Obv. habitat etc. will be needed

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Glass tanks are not an ideal option for snakes or lizards. There are several problems that can occur.
The only access to a fish tank is through the top. Snakes and lizards tend to be very wary of things approaching from above (think birds of prey). Also the top is the only ventilation that is available
Glass can have very sharp edges so the glass supports at the top must be smoothed to prevent injury to the lizard and to you.
It's difficult to get a lid fitting well enough to make a fish tank escape proof especially for small lizards and snakes.
Heating is difficult, especially setting up a heat gradient. Using heat mats can crack the base, using bulbs to set up a heat gradient along the tank could be even worse. I'm no BD expert but I think they do well with quite a wide temperature gradient.
Glass is inherently brittle. Now a large marine tank may be fairly strong, but in general any glass container will shatter if it's hit wrong

If you do use the tank be aware of these issues and take steps to try to eliminate the associated risk.

It may be better to sell the tank and use the money towards a more conventional vivarium.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great advice snicker
thanks
going on that i think i will sell it and start from scratch
seen some starterkits that dont seam to pricey

got bored with fish fancy something new. Will do lots of research before i decide if i deffo go for lizards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts