Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just wanting to check If I am noticing normal behaviour from my new Tincs Azeureus. I have had 2 for around 2-3 weeks now and have seen them maybe 5 mins each day. I have seen them feed on all occasions as they generally appear at feeding time..

The tank has plenty of hidey holes and is planted quite thickly. They are obviously moving around as I can see the routes they have taken by the squashed leaves and clear spots. I have read they can be quite shy and I'm not being needy by wanting them out more, I just want to make sure there is nothing underlying and get reassurance this is normal.

Temps are lower 70s and humidity in the 90s. Have I supplied them with the perfect environment and they are just enjoying themselves or should they be out a lot more?

Any thoughts welcomed,

Marc.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Hi Marc
Azureus are not normally a shy frog so it bothers me.
How old are they ?
It might be that they are a bit on the young side and still gaining confidence that comes with age.
There has been a lot of frogs offered for sale lately which are under age, ie: under the 3 months minimum recommended.
The main thing is that they are feeding so just keep an eye on them and in time they should be out and about a bit more.

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marc
Azureus are not normally a shy frog so it bothers me.
How old are they ?
It might be that they are a bit on the young side and still gaining confidence that comes with age.
There has been a lot of frogs offered for sale lately which are under age, ie: under the 3 months minimum recommended.
The main thing is that they are feeding so just keep an eye on them and in time they should be out and about a bit more.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply.

They were purchased through Marc at Dartfrog and sold as Juveniles 15-18mm so I have no doubt they are all good. When they are out they seem bright and alert. One thing I have considered is they haven't got a water bowl. I was under the impression they gain all of the water from their environment which could be why they are staying in? Do you think it may be an idea to offer a shallow water bowl?

I am fighting all temptation to move stuff around in the tank to find them and have basically left them to it as I don't want to disturb them. Perhaps as you say they will build confidence in time...

Marc

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
If you got them from Marc then they are fine.
You bring up a good point on the water though.
Before I went fully automatic with my misting I had a water dish in all my vivs for the frogs to have a soak.
Now I just leave them with some water in the drainage gullies as they use these to have a soak.
Recently I had one of my Tincs have a prolapse which is a first for me, but I noticed that the gully had gone a bit dry due to the warmer weather.
So I filled it back up and the Tinc went pretty much straight into it and sat there for a while having a good soak.
Prolapse disappeared and the frog is back to normal, so it shows the importance of having water in there.
So give it a try with a water dish, but not deep enough for them to be submerged and see if that helps.
You are right not to move things about, so just leave the viv as it is to avoid stress.

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Mike,

I have a Mistking in so they are getting misted regularly, although they don't seem to be out when it mists.. yet. I have got home tonight and added a small shallow water container, fingers crossed over the next few weeks they will settle more and appear more regularly,

Marc.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Weirdly enough I also have a trio of Azeureus from Marc that I purchased recently, and they are being really shy as well. I dont think theres anything wrong with them, probably just settling in but I thought it was a strange coincidence anyway

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weirdly enough I also have a trio of Azeureus from Marc that I purchased recently, and they are being really shy as well. I dont think theres anything wrong with them, probably just settling in but I thought it was a strange coincidence anyway
Thank you for this, it has put my mind to rest a bit more. One was exploring last night but when it saw I was watching it beat a hasty retreat under the leaf litter. I am now pretty convinced it's just shyness and in time they will frog up and become bolder,

Marc.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
It sounds very like they might just be shy.
Just keep an eye on them and make sure they`re feeding.
Drop their food near the door so they have to venture out away from where they`re hiding, this might encourage them to start coming out a bit more.
The more they come out the better they`ll start to feel and hopefully they`ll stay out for longer.

Mike

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Lads,i'm not overly concerned mikes right they are pretty bold,but just thoughts. Marc yours got delivered(I think i'm right Marc ...put me straight dude:2thumb:,Lee did yours too or did you pick up? Just musing if the move might have been a bit stressful and making them a bit wary for a while. Lads if it helps at all I've always had a gut feeling that tincs hate moves

Marc resist that temptation to check,I know mate:bash: we keep cause we care,so it's really hard when one doesn't see them ,but mitts off:lol2: it'll come bro.

Second thought,i'd lay a bet after talking to us you have a goodly bit of nosh about especially with growing kids. Tincs love their grub and are still coming out feeding,but maybe they are nailing a gutsfull pretty quick,so then retire. You will always see slightly hungry frogs more than full ones.

guys can you ID each individual yet? if you are seeing each one and there is no weight loss,I'm not too concerned,with the given info.

Hmm :whistling2: then I'd just quietly spend time with them after food I talk to them constantly,but hey I'm nuts,serious side to this though they know who I am. I'm utterly sure they can recognise individual humans. I know it's a bloody tiny frog,but there are bonds to be had with tincs. With time they work out two things,one you bring grub two you don't hurt them.

ha we tell them it's coming way before doors open tincs will,repeating dinner time to a load of frogs is surely mad!!! But they get it they'll be climbing the walls to get to us,tiny front feet on glass doors all the tincs especially. Plus the more nervous frogs know too,that a door will open or a top lifted off. Fore warned they are: victory: so they don't stress

These things take time lads but for me I'm not terribly worried if they all have good weight and also each is coming out all be it maybe briefly to feed.

Try seeing what they are up to very early guys just after dawn that is the time they might be out hunting (after sleeping all night without feeding)..before the lights are on:2thumb:

best 'o' luck

Stu

·
Registered
340 Posts
I picked mine up stu, I can't ID them yet but can sorta identify them by where they hide in the viv aha. So far seen two eat, but the flies I put in are vanishing so something must be happening. Not too worried yet haha

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I picked mine up stu, I can't ID them yet but can sorta identify them by where they hide in the viv aha. So far seen two eat, but the flies I put in are vanishing so something must be happening. Not too worried yet haha
hey ho worth a shot in the dark kiddo:lol2: try grabbing some pics bro,I know that might not be easy,but I find that to be a big help when trying to id similarly marked frogs. Mind don't get me wrong knowing who hangs where is all good: victory:
Stu

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lads,i'm not overly concerned mikes right they are pretty bold,but just thoughts. Marc yours got delivered(I think i'm right Marc ...put me straight dude:2thumb:,Lee did yours too or did you pick up? Just musing if the move might have been a bit stressful and making them a bit wary for a while. Lads if it helps at all I've always had a gut feeling that tincs hate moves

Marc resist that temptation to check,I know mate:bash: we keep cause we care,so it's really hard when one doesn't see them ,but mitts off:lol2: it'll come bro.

Second thought,i'd lay a bet after talking to us you have a goodly bit of nosh about especially with growing kids. Tincs love their grub and are still coming out feeding,but maybe they are nailing a gutsfull pretty quick,so then retire. You will always see slightly hungry frogs more than full ones.

guys can you ID each individual yet? if you are seeing each one and there is no weight loss,I'm not too concerned,with the given info.

Hmm :whistling2: then I'd just quietly spend time with them after food I talk to them constantly,but hey I'm nuts,serious side to this though they know who I am. I'm utterly sure they can recognise individual humans. I know it's a bloody tiny frog,but there are bonds to be had with tincs. With time they work out two things,one you bring grub two you don't hurt them.

ha we tell them it's coming way before doors open tincs will,repeating dinner time to a load of frogs is surely mad!!! But they get it they'll be climbing the walls to get to us,tiny front feet on glass doors all the tincs especially. Plus the more nervous frogs know too,that a door will open or a top lifted off. Fore warned they are: victory: so they don't stress

These things take time lads but for me I'm not terribly worried if they all have good weight and also each is coming out all be it maybe briefly to feed.

Try seeing what they are up to very early guys just after dawn that is the time they might be out hunting (after sleeping all night without feeding)..before the lights are on:2thumb:

best 'o' luck

Stu
Hi Stu,

Sorry for the late reply mate, been one of those weekends!

You are correct that mine had quite a travel, hadn't considered that but sure it must have caused them an amount of stress.

To be honest no I cant individualise them yet. Very rarely are both out together for a comparison. One was out yesterday evening with the others head just poking out of some moss. I have noticed they start to come out quite late and one sleeps out in the open. It was there this morning when I left about 6ish.

I am probably on the verge of over feeding as I am paranoid about under feeding. After reading peoples advice on how much they actually require when growing I'd rather be making sure. One was actually being reasonably bold last night but then realised I was watching and retreated so pretty sure it is just a matter of time. When I notice them out the temptation is to put some food in so they associate the door going with food but this also disturbs them so I am going with the new approach of leaving them for an hour to explore.

Thanks again for your reply, always nice to get some reassurance from some experienced guys,

Marc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just a thought but are your lights on timers and are you looking in the tank at roughly the same times each day?
I have a tank with two young tincs that if I only looked before I go to work and after 7 at night I would think are never on show. But at the weekend they are out and about from around 10 till late afternoon. They clearly know the length of their day and are hiding away well before the lights go off.
Mark

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a thought but are your lights on timers and are you looking in the tank at roughly the same times each day?
I have a tank with two young tincs that if I only looked before I go to work and after 7 at night I would think are never on show. But at the weekend they are out and about from around 10 till late afternoon. They clearly know the length of their day and are hiding away well before the lights go off.
Mark
Hi Mark,

Yeah the lights are on timers. From 9:30-21:30. I had considered the same so kept a close eye over the weekend and the same seemed to happen. When I come down early both are out in their respective positions. By the time the lights are on they are hidden away. I don't see them all day and about 8pm they start to appear again. I did notice how quickly they can dart ( not pun intended) under cover so perhaps they can feel/hear me approaching and hide away. It's amazing how a bright blue frog can hide!

I am slowly seeing more of them though so fingers crossed it will continue and they will settle right in.

Marc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts