Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my uro for about 2-3 weeks now and he gets up at about 11 -11.30am and then goes back to sleep under his hide about 1 or 2pm is this normal? the couple of hours he is up hes really active running around all over basking eating and pooing. i know they go through brumation but wasnt sure if this is the right time of year and he is extremely active when he is up and thought in brumation they wouldnt be as active!
is anyone else going through or been through same thing?
also his lights are on 7am - 7pm

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi. My Egyptian Uro just came out of brumation earlier this week. He started to go into brumation in mid October. What happens is the Uro will begin to wake up later in the day and only be active for a few hours. With my Uro, it got to the point where I would only see him once or twice a week. I kept the normal temperatures in the enclosure and did not force him into brumation. He seemed to know Winter was coming. During the brumation phase, my Uro did eat a little when he was awake. He did loose some weight over time but did not appear sickly. I was feeding him basically greens and eventually I added a little water with the greens which he did drink from time to time. I did this to make sure he was hydrated. You may also find your Uro eating less along with the shortening of his waking hours. My Uro has almost now returned to a full schedule and is eating enormously. He has a big fat belly once again and is active. This whole affair was very scary for me as this is my first Uro and I had only had him for about 2 months before he began to go into brumation. If you need more information, feel free to send me a private message.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My occelated comes out by about 9am and will stay out till about 5pm -6pm , then he takes himself off to bed , and his lights go off around 9pm. Sometimes he will go for an afternoon nap around 2pm but come vback out till its his time for bed

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
my geryi Uro`s are late risers at the moment...not usualy surfacing until around 11.30am-12pm...they are fairly active until around 4-5pm and then disappear usualy...although they have started waking up again occasionaly in the early evening for an hour or two.....the ocellated pair are out and about pretty much all day now, with the female being especialy active until pretty much lights out!....neither pairs are eating a tramendous amount at the moment...but the ocellateds seem to be eating a lot more than they were up until a few weeks back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your imputs guys :) so i shouldnt worry? like i say he is extremely active the couple of hours he is up but then goes back to sleep about 1-2ish and stays there till 11am next day! he isnt eating a great deal just a couple of bits here and there. but he looks fine and healthy which is good :) so i arnt worrying too much maybe he is just coming out of brumation??

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
thanks for your imputs guys :) so i shouldnt worry? like i say he is extremely active the couple of hours he is up but then goes back to sleep about 1-2ish and stays there till 11am next day! he isnt eating a great deal just a couple of bits here and there. but he looks fine and healthy which is good :) so i arnt worrying too much maybe he is just coming out of brumation??
as long as he looks healthy and seems in good condition i wouldn`t worry too much....i`m sure as the weather warms up and summer arrives (we can hope i suppose lol) he will become more active, and for longer periods : victory:....just out of interest what temps are you keeping him at? basking spot and ambient.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
his temps are 124 basking spot 84 cool end and 96 warmend is this ok this is my first uro so any advise would be great :D i have read what feels like hundreds of care sheets for them butg most have a lot of conflicting advise

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
no that sounds fine to me, i do have mine at a higher basking temp (130f for ocellated and 145f for the geryi) but as long as it is reaching at least 120f then that should be fine, and the ambient temps sound ok too...most likely as has been stated he is coming out of brumation, just keep an eye on his condition and behaviour, but as said i am sure he will likely pick up soon enough....and everything will be ok :2thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brill :) I might try get the basking spot a bit higher then as mine is an ocellated and i'l keep my eye on him too. thanks for your help

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi mine is an early riser!!, up at 7 am when lights come on, i hear him crunching his lentils!! then has some greens/food about 8-9 am, when he has been basking for a while warming up, then has a run around and is very active until about 2pm-3pm, when he may go under his slate for a bit then comes back out and about, his light goes off at 7pm, my temps are approx same as yours, i wouldnt worry mine was coming out a lot less recently, but now seems back to normal, hayley xx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks hayley i'l keep my eye on him but he seems very healthy and active when he is up so not worrying too much x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts