Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having big problems with my Black Mexican King and lack of eating - She was a rescued snake. Although when we first got her she ate fine for the first couple of weeks. Then as a treat we fed her a chick, after that she hasn't eaten... it's been 5 weeks and all she would take was a small fuzzy, normally feed her 2 large mice or baby rat once a week (she hasn't been tempted to take anything since) Tried all the usual bloodying, etc.

Took her to the Vet and they said she looked fine, good weight etc.

She is constantly rubbing on the glass trying to get out and has caused a scale to come off (the Vet says it should be alright as it is healing)

But can't seam to get her to stop the rubbing - tried everything... any ideas?
temps are alright, not too humid enough places to hide, climb and deep enough substrate - Can't figure it out.

Any ideas please? she's doing her self some damage!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
with the nose rubbing thing you could try handling her more often cos sometimes they just want to get out and about. it could also be due to stress, have you change anything? how bigs the viv. and once the nose rubbing stops it should, dont quote me on this later. but ur snake should start eating cos nose rubbing is a sign of somesort of stress and if its stressed it wont eat. hope thats helped a bit.
xsachax

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's Handled most days, except when sheddiing in a Viv that's just the right size for her not too small nor too big, plenty of hiding places haven't changed anything since we've got her - we have two corns both male - could it be something to do with them? they are in the same room but far enough apart. all separate vivs.

Cleaned out regularly, temp gradients from 23 cold end to 32 in the hot, seems like she's trying to escape, but when we get her out to handle she trys her hardest ti get back in, very very coinfusing!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
She's Handled most days, except when sheddiing in a Viv that's just the right size for her not too small nor too big, plenty of hiding places haven't changed anything since we've got her - we have two corns both male - could it be something to do with them? they are in the same room but far enough apart. all separate vivs.

Cleaned out regularly, temp gradients from 23 cold end to 32 in the hot, seems like she's trying to escape, but when we get her out to handle she trys her hardest ti get back in, very very coinfusing!!
Just a thought but since King Snakes are snake eaters could it be she is trying to get out for a meal of Corn snake? It might be the smell of the snakes appeals more than rodents or chicks.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
cool her down some and cover her cage. make her chill out for a few days. i'd change all the substrate first. black out the cage...just what i would do. give her a restart.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Im no expert at all but I would say to leave it to settle in rather than handle it every day, especially if its not eating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts