Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my leo's seem to have stopped eating....any ideas?????? ad if they r eatin it def not as much as normal! :cry:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Could do with lots more info,

Have the temperatures remaind the same, how old are the geckos (are the hitting adult size), has anything changed in the last few days.

What thermal gradient do you have warm - cool.

Has there been an excess of crickets in the vivarium for the last few days.

To say that they have just stopped eating won't help us figure what is wrong

Regards

Jerry Cole
Reptilekeeping.com

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cleaned viv out on wednesday,put everything back in exactly same places,temps same as usuall.theyre 15mths old.male and female.put 10 crix in wednesday n lokoks like most of them are still there.i jus tried them on a waxie each and they ate them but not interested in crix but up until now theyve been fine. viv is heated with red 60wt bulb same as always.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry temps are 80 in cooler side and 93 in warm side but i have not changed that at all,drop thermostat to 76 of a night.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It could have been due to the changing of the vivarium, this will cause stress to the animal and knock it off eating for a day or so.

the other main point is down to the animal itself, the way most geckos feeding habits work is by movement, when something moves it chases and eats it.

If there is constant movement inthe vivarium and the gecko is not hungry, it will over right it's brain function to say that the crickets are not food.

Best thing is to clear all outstanding crickets formn the vivarium, starve for 36 - 48 hours then try the crickets again, this should resolvethe problem.

If not PM me or e-mail through

Reptilekeeping.com

Regards

jerry Cole

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help,i put some electrolyze in the water to help with stress after i removed them from the viv to clean them out,male is not too bad with handling but that day he was "barking" at me,female is not good at being handled at all.i jus put them in to a crix tub each while i clean viv out and get it done as quick as poss.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
other thing i was worried about was impaction,they are kept on exo terra desert sand...theyve been fine u 2 now....do u think i should worry about the sand or not????

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone else have an ideas?

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
my leo is slightly off his food,think its down to weather,been told even if nothing changes in their viv temp wise they still know its getting colder,theyve got the substrate debate going on at the mo and im surprised sand is on top,ive changed mine to lino as eddie was not pooing and i was worried,a bd on here had the same prob on pooing and he just passed some sand,obviously lots of people on here know far more than me but for my own peace of mind i changed the sand,just a suggestion but if youre not 100% confident with the sand change it,it may stress them out abit initially but i felt it was for the best

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
think it must be the weather beacuse mine have also gone off their food, so wouldn't worry to much yet (i know its easy to say but it hasnt stopped me worrying:) about mine)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the crix i had in the viv seem to have dissapeared and my female looks like she's looking for food so im gonna leave them til tomorrow try n make them hungry then feed them n c what happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts