Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i upped my CRB's food intake from 2 rat pups to 3, normally after feeding she burrows down and i don't see her for 24 hours.
she struck and took all 3 with no quabbles, but is now really active. She doesn't even look like shes eaten, was worried she might of regurgitated but there's no sign of that. She still seems hungry, sniffing at my fingers (i have just had a shower!) should i of given her more?!
these aren't small rat pups either, i know my local rep shop owner and she lets me sieve through the bags and pick my own.
Is it time to upgrade to bigger?!
shop didn't think i should've increase her food yet, but if my bellas hungry, shes getting it!!
what your opinion?!

thankies!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you're giving her 3, and it doesn't look like she's even eaten, it is definitely time to give her bigger prey... How much does she weigh? That way I can tell you what food item you should be feeding her :whistling2:

Oh, and how often are you feeding her at the moment?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
my scales are broken, but shes just over 3foot weighing around the same as a sky remote.
shes fed every Wednesday evening.
Apparently, from having a brief search online, they weigh around 150g - but I'm not too sure. But at 3ft long, she should be having prey alot bigger than a rat pup. I've never kept rainbow boa's before, but I see their relatively heavy boded snakes? Therefore, I'd suggest you'd move her up to a small weaner rat and see how she goes :2thumb:

·
Registered
944 Posts
have a go upping her prey size and see how she does. I would say at 3 foot she should be able to manage a small rat weaner. There is no hard and fast rule that I follow with my brb's, one meal could be a small-medium weaner rat, the next a chick, the next 2x jumbo mice (you get the idea).

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Definitely need to up the prey size, don't worry if it looks to big you will be amazed what they can eat :gasp: also if it is to big snakes aren't daft they will soon give up on it if its to big :)

Reactions: Alex Boswell

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
i just didn't want to give her something she couldn't manage. Ill try her on a weaker next week and see how she goes.
thanks guys x

Just because something is 'Weak' doesn't mean you have the right to feed them to a snake!

Whats next! Will you be standing outside doctors surgerys with morphine and a sack, ready to whisk away the first weak person you see!

It's threads like this that make me thankful that the 'Daily Mail' exists.

:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
definitely up the prey size on her next feed, if one of mine wanted 2 I would of upped the size, but 3 tells you it needs more imo. :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just because something is 'Weak' doesn't mean you have the right to feed them to a snake!

Whats next! Will you be standing outside doctors surgerys with morphine and a sack, ready to whisk away the first weak person you see!

It's threads like this that make me thankful that the 'Daily Mail' exists.

:Na_Na_Na_Na:

I meant weaner, not weaker, douchebag :devil:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
definitely up the prey size on her next feed, if one of mine wanted 2 I would of upped the size, but 3 tells you it needs more imo. :whistling2:
Aa said, she's my first snake, so I'm still learning. The fact that the shop told me not to up her food, and I knew that was wrong, made me give her 3, then ask for experienced people's knowledge on what to do :blush:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts