Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would anyone be able to help?
Its about a African Pygmy Hedgehog....

Their hedghog had flakey skin.... (so went to the vet)
the vet said teetreeoil spray ...
he couldnt walk...
he went on the internet, and foudn out that teetree is bad for them and an kill them....

what can he do to counteract it?

anyone?

its got shallow breathing, and he has been told to just keep it warm, and its not likely to live.
he has it rapped up, and its breathing slowly..

:(

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
has he bathed the hedgehog to remove the tea tree from it as if its still on it then it will still react

tell him to bath in warm water and make sure all the tea tree is off the hoggy

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
i also suggest that if he looses his baby he sue's the vets that game him the wrong advice

if the vet wasnt sure they should have said im sorry i cant help you, you will have to find another vet that can

instead of advicing something that could ultimately kill the animal

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you
i have told him
he is so so upset

i also suggest that if he looses his baby he sue's the vets that game him the wrong advice

if the vet wasnt sure they should have said im sorry i cant help you, you will have to find another vet that can

instead of advicing something that could ultimately kill the animal

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
thank you
i have told him
he is so so upset
i hope he pulls through poor lil thing

the one good thing about my vets i know i can rely on them being honest with me and saying look i dont know.............but here is a number of someone that may

that was pure stupidity on the vets part prescribing something for an animal that they obviously knew nothing about

the sad thing about vets today they really aint in it for the love of the animals no more they are more bothered about the price you pay just to walk through the doors

if his lil guy pulls through tell him to ring round and find a vet that deals with exotics also i would reccommend he does that to see if there is anymore he can do to counteract what harms been done

i wouldnt want to advice any more than a bath to get rid of the tea tree as i really dont know myself hun though will call my vet if you like and ask if they can give me some advice for you

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he is just holding him, and he is slowly slipping away :(

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
awwwww no hun im so sorry for him i would be devesated if it was one of my lil guys so i know how he feels

please tell him it isnt his fault he wasnt to know but the blooming vets should have known better

great big hugs to your friend

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:(

ill keep you posted.

awwwww no hun im so sorry for him i would be devesated if it was one of my lil guys so i know how he feels

please tell him it isnt his fault he wasnt to know but the blooming vets should have known better

great big hugs to your friend

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
Hun i have just spoken to my vets and they told me that u need to try and get the lil hoggy to a vet that does know what they are doing

my vet was absoloutly appalled that he was adviced by another vet to use tea tree on a hedgehog

so if he is still hanging in there see if you can rush him into a vet that has a clue

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hun i have just spoken to my vets and they told me that u need to try and get the lil hoggy to a vet that does know what they are doing

my vet was absoloutly appalled that he was adviced by another vet to use tea tree on a hedgehog

so if he is still hanging in there see if you can rush him into a vet that has a clue
Thank you very much for all your help.

Just spoken to him again and he says that his breathing is very faint and he doesn't think he will make it. I don't think there is another vet near by either. He has done loads of asking around and has found that there isn't really anything that can be done :(
Lets just hope he pulls through.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hi

Did the little guys pull through?

I hope so.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i hope so too, i cannot get hold of him at the moe, but when i do, ill post it on here. :(

Gina

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
maybe a warning should be put up as a sticky so people see it then know not to use tea tree on their hedgehogs ever

hope your friend and his lil aph is okies hun

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all i have heard from him today, is that he (the hedgehog) is in a coma at the moe, he coudl make it, on the other hand he might not... :(

ill keep you posted again tommorrow

maybe this should be a sticky?

maybe a warning should be put up as a sticky so people see it then know not to use tea tree on their hedgehogs ever

hope your friend and his lil aph is okies hun

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
awwwwww hun yeah please do let us know how he gets on with his baby

im so sorry he is going through this hun

yeah maybe pm a mod and ask them

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So sorry i hadnt seen this post sooner...teatree is VERY toxic.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
there may have been a possibility his skin was just irritated through quilling which would have been resolved with vitamin e oil.He may also well have had mites.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts