Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy's,as you know ive had my red tail for a two months,he's fed three/four times since ive had him but never shed,but now in the last 3 week's he hasnt eaten at all.last time he fed i stepped up from rat fluff to a rat pup he ate that no bother.but last two time's i tried him on rat pup's he strcuk once but didnt eat it,so i thought id go back to rat fluff's..tried him last night but he still isnt eating,i dont want to start strike feeding(last resort).but i want him to feed,and im now getting a bit concerned.

if anyone has any idea's on how to try and get him interested please let me know.oh and blending the fluff up isnt so good either..lol..dont think my stomach could take it :sick:

**well its 14th november,and atilla has eaten a rat pup tonight so now i'm not to concerned..lol...thanks for the info gaz,i tried a bit you said and it worked.put him in a snake box,thawed out the rat pup in a feeding dish in warm water,then when he was ready i boiled kettle and got the pup in tissue made him really warm with the steam...dropped him in the box and atilla struck and constricted it....went back 5 mins later and he's eaten it..WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!**

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I've sort of have the same problem with one of my little ones. I've got two that are around 3-4 months old now....

I've had Eva now a month and a half and she has never missed a feed and has shed twice. She was on rat pups but has taken her first rat weaner a few days ago. Shes a beauty!

Sebastian on the other hand is a pig! I've had him a month and has shed once. Getting him to feed though is a big of a problem. When I got him home (3 hrs drive and all that) he didn't eat at all for about 10 days. He was due feeding when I got home but he wouldn't. Not to surprised about that but then refused the next 5 days later. Now he'll strike at the food but not constrict it. Thats when I know he's not going to eat it. He just leaves it there. What I then do is take it out wait five min's and try again. Once he properly constricts it, he will leave it for a while but will eventually take it. I leave him in a small tub thats hot a humid when he's fed.

What I would do is put him in a small tub, hot and humid and put a tea towel over him so its dark as well. Offer food until he constricts it and leave him to it for an hour. Then have a look to see if hes taken it.... works for me!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Some snakes need a small adjustment period after they go up in food size. Bearing in mind that their slow motabolism means that if they eat prey that is a little larger than is usually caught they will become inactive for a while.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i knew this but it was the 3 week's that had bothered me,he showed interest but never ate anything..but now he looks like he's back to himself.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Nice one fella! What I would maybe do is keep him in that smaller box, keep it warm and humid, until he's feed a couple more times.... Thats what i've done because mine slipped back into old habits!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts