Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thought I'd confess a very stupid mistake I've made which cost me £40 but has resulted in no real harm, luckily.

I made some "improvements" to some internet-bought vivs, which included lining it with fablon and sealing some dodgy joints with duck tape (see where this is going?), which I had also used to secure some fittings. This had previously housed large, robust and fairly sedentary Corn snakes.

However, I had placed 2 young Black Rat Snakes in there temporarily. Being rather more inquisitive, one found a piece of said tape and got in stuck on its ventral scales just below the neck. Although it was due to shed, with her pulling and tugging, the sklin was looking fragile.

She was taken to the vet and, within 20 minutes with some surgical spirit this was removed. She is now in a RUB, looking a little sorry for herself but with no harm done. There wasn't even any bleeding.

So, I know I a complete :censor:wit for having this tape in the viv, but thought I'd share it for instruction of/warning to others.Please, no silly 'flaming' I won't listen to it and it can't be worse than what I've called myself!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
That could have been a lot worse mate, glad your ratsnake's ok.
I'll hold my hands up and admit i've used duct tape in the past to hold up loose cables, etc :blush:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's what I did, without a thought. I know, it could have been a lot worse. thanks DW

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I've done similar without thinking about it, luckily no harm was done, used cheap rubbish tape that came off in warm water lol. It's so easy to just do it and not really consider what could happen...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts