Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted somthing a couple od days ago about my beardie closing his eyes and almost gaging (nothing came out)it was almost as if he had a blocked throat.o then discoverd this evening that his eyes are half shut

this is starting to worry me now because i have never seen this behaviour before and it does not look good.

a few days ago i gave him some crickets and i this small hairy mggot thing fell out of the cricket box i only noticed this as will(the beardie)ran up to it and ate it,it is either the hairy maggot or the piece of brocoli that i put in and somthing tells me that it is the hairy maggot thing.

i am begining to get worried now cos he is not the healthiest dragon at the moment,i had to move him on to kitchen roll cos i found sand in his poo any way get back to me on wot u think mite be causing this behaviour,i'll put another post up if it gets any worse thnx:lol2:: victory::2thumb::no1:

·
Registered
524 Posts
ok.. i have no exp with impaction whatsoever, so ive never seen it.. but tbh, i dont think findinding sand IN ure beardies doo dar :blush: is very good, the same with the gagging.. its what i'd assume happens with impaction.. i think a trip to the vets might be an idea and maybe get some ideas on changing substrates.. how long has ure bd been on sand?? some people swear by it.. others swear about it.. it just depends on ure bd i spose.. hopefully some one else will help: victory:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
how much brocoli did you feed him?? its really not good for them!

·
Registered
62 Posts
the hairy maggot thing would not have caused this. they are found regularly in cricket tubs and are harmless and apparently very tasty as beardies always tend to eat these b4 the crickets. Finding sand in his poo is serious and he may well be impacted. I suggest you get him to a vet asap. Have you put him in a warm bath? It may help him pass more of the sand.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh cos someone else on here said it was,but luckly a bout a quater of a normal siezed piece,he is about6 months now if that helps in any way,how do u give hm a bath?

·
Registered
524 Posts
the sooner the better really.. lets just hope that you caught it quick and you definatly did the best thing by taking bd off the sand..im sure you r keeping u eye on him, thats the best you can do (and the bath lol) untill you can go to the vets: victory:.. keep us posted plzz:2thumb:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
but him in a bath with about 1.5 inches of water, luke warm and leave him in for 10 mins:)

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
my oppinion - bath tub, they like swimming and have more room:)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
definatley not caused by the beetle larvae (the furry maggot), when you say gagging, does its beard go jet black and violently shake his head from side to side as this is generally what they do when they are regurgitating a meal? Are you sure it was sand in the poo? Urates are can sometimes be passed as a hard sandy looking lump, which when squashed reveals a white creamy urate inside (nice!).

You sure he wasnt just mouth gaping to cool down? have you noticed any lethargy or muscle tremors, typical signs of a beardie having trouble digesting something are lifelessness and the muscles on the beardie twitching and tremoring uncontrollably.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts