Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the future i want to keep an exotic mammal so i have looker at the following. If anyone has owned one, knows a breeder has any info on how they could be housed, price...etc thanks
also one is kept as a pet hmmm not commonly but by a forum meber or two
Meerkat
Possum sp's
Black Footed Cat
Margay
Thanks am going to send a certain shop a email about meerkats now so...

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Think your best choice, off the ot of my head, would be Nerys and Rory on those particular species. I don't really know anyone else on this forum enough to know if they are kept by others sorry :)

Must say, meerkats are really stunning things - I beleive thier environment can be a task to get set up though with htem liking to burrow and such - concete base I would imagine with a few feet of digging material ont he top??

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the meerkat was the one i was on about, someone on here keeps one, and think maybe more now but cant think of a name. I dont think they NEED a couple feet to dig ect but i would give that as its not that much realy...
Think your best choice, off the ot of my head, would be Nerys and Rory on those particular species. I don't really know anyone else on this forum enough to know if they are kept by others sorry :)

Must say, meerkats are really stunning things - I beleive thier environment can be a task to get set up though with htem liking to burrow and such - concete base I would imagine with a few feet of digging material ont he top??

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found a breeder in like.....50 secs :D not that rare...:D

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
well the meerkat was the one i was on about, someone on here keeps one, and think maybe more now but cant think of a name. I dont think they NEED a couple feet to dig ect but i would give that as its not that much realy...

Try Glidergirl I think she and her partner keep meerkats or have done in the past. A friend of ours used to keep a single one, and this entailed almost 24/7 attention as they are such social animals. They are best kept in groups of three or more I believe.
They are nice animals but I prefer dwarf mongoose myself.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
My friend has two meerkats.
She has kept them for over ten years.
The only thing she is having difficulty with now they are older is keeping their weight down.
Mikey, he's 8 yrs old, is obese even though she is making him excercise and he is on a very strict diet.
She did have to have Mikey neutered as he fought with Ky,10yrs old, at first.
Other than that I think they are fantastic. They come and holiday with us when she's away.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How big of a run would a pair need do you reckon?I would make a nice set-up, with deep substrate, tree or something for shade and terratory, hide, shade etc like they do in the wild. I do actualy whach Meerkat Manor so i do now abit but them in the wild, i know what they would eat and do in the wild, just not as a pet.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Michelle has them as house pets.

I know they would be better off with, say, an outside run and area where they can dig etc.
Ky and Mikey have a digging box, which Mikey never uses, neither of them like to climb. They are rather elderly now though.
They have a box, every few days, with 'crawlies' in it that they love but it turns Michelle's stomach when they crunch on mice and beetles so I go over and give them their 'crawlie box'. They absolutely love slugs and other yucky stuff.
Michelle's yard is secure so they go outside and 'help' her feed the dogs every evening for an hour or so.

Where Michelle lives you wouldn't dare have them outside. They wouldn't be there after 5 minutes.
I used to live in the same area and my European Buzzard got shot whilst out on her creance.

Mikey and Ky know their names and will follow some commands. Usually 'get out of the bin you little bugger'!!!!!!! Or 'stop whiping you a**e on me'!!!!!
No seriously, they understand when told to go to bed. They have a crate they go into at night but have the run of the animal room when Michelle is at work.
They understand 'come here', 'stop it' and other simple phrases.

I would advise getting a 'domestically' bred Meerkat if you want a pet. Ky was bred indoors but Mikey was a colony member. He came to Michelle when he was being bullied and isn't the friendliest little guy. You can hand feed him and give him a bath but he won't sit on your knee, like Ky, or let you pick him up much.
He'ss never bitten me but that isn't for want of trying and I've seen Michelle's hand when he bit her when she first got him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts