Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got two water dragons last week had their home all set up three days before good temps nice area. I got the dragons from two different shops. The one i got from my normal shop looks great still getting use to his enviroment stays still and quiet well he can see you but as soon as he cant he starts running around climing and swiming.

The other from a different shop I'm worried about the lady at the shop said they (water Dragons) have problems with their eyes they tend to dry out. I took her word on that, but my other dragon doesn't have this problem his eyes look brilliant. Is this a normal thing or have i been sold a sickly Dragon? I feel so bad for him his one eye looks very sore and is slitly red.

I havent been touching them much at all twice in the last three days and just to inspect them. I know you need to give them time to settle in to their new home.
has anyone seen this can anyone help me. is there anything i can do? and I know i should get him to a vet but That seams easier said then done in Canada, I'v been calling around today and no luck.:cry:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hey mate, i cant advise you on what it is... but i can tell you rigth away that its not normal..

ross will be back online in the morning i think mate, untill then hopefully someone else can help.

At the end of the day... if your not attached to it.. take it back cos its not your problem.. it might sound harsh but theres a difference between a pet you have getting ill and buying a sick pet.

It may be an easy fix though so give it till morning... not that ur gona be able to do much tonight anyway lol.. lovely dragon by the way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thanks so much. I do love him very much and feel so bad for him, he wasnt the only sickly looking dragon in his cage one other had the same kinda eyes but i was told it was normal. (against my better judgement) but once seeing the second dragon from my shop i knew. the problem i fear is this other shop will not take him back, they have a five day garentee and today makes 6 or 7. and ya i figured i wouldnt get many replies it being so late there, here its still early only 10:20 pm. thanks for the help though maybe i will try calling the shop again, although i would hate to send him back there but your right i would rather him be sent back then die with me cause i would be crushed.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
exactly...and if they give you trouble....say "you knew he was like this..so are the others... and u said it was normal which it isnt [basically the truth lol] and they really wont be able to say much really.

Once they give you your money back, send the authorities down to see them.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
until you get some expert advice, i would seperate the two in case it is contagus, you dont want two sick dragons.

i have a WD, and i know nothng of drying out eyes etc, and that pic is cirtainly not "normal"

i would, if it were mine, bath it because he looks genrally dirty around the head, and it couldn't do any harm.

as said, i am not an expert, so this is my honest opinion.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I think thats good advice.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
oooh that looks sore:cry: its definately not normal..u have two choices u could do as suggested and take the wd back to where u got it or take it to the vet i dont think its non cureable..maybe an old shed got infected.??? do as dan suggested and seperate the two wd's tho just incase.if u want to keep her/him take it to the vet and then call the woman at the shop and inform her she has sold u a sick rep.were the others in the shop the same?? same with most pet shops its all about making the sale and not about the reps health and well being.:bash:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
most desent reptile shops will give you a guarentee on the reps that you buy, ring them, tell them that you wd needs vet care and they should foot the bill. thats what they all do round here.

dont it make you mad, they should know this is not normal, and it must be uncomfortable for the wd, why sell it, rather than get it sorted!!!!:bash:

·
Registered
317 Posts
i am no expert but looks like a infection to me,maybe from a sheding problem,could have tried to rub the skin off,bathing should help just plain warm water,but a vet vist is a must,but make sure you keep it nice and warm for the trip

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to separte them but I dont have another viv so i dont know what to do. I had him in the bath last night before i took the pic and i will agian today but im trying not to handle them much right now as not to stress them out, so i only do short baths. I will visit the shop today on my way home and work on finding a vet to take him to. I know its not going to be easy at the vet and i feel so bad for the poor little guy just to send him back to the place that didnt take care of him in the first place. and I will be sure to keep him warm on the way to the vet once i find one as I'm in Canada and it fairly cold this time of year.

thanks so much for your help I was sure it wasnt a normal thing but i weasnt able to find anything on line about it. any ideas as to why all the reps in their shop looked that way there was three and one looked very sickly so if shes not there when i stop by tonight i know she didnt make it and they should deffinily take him back :(

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
if they all had it, chances are it may be either contagous or it may have been coused by wrong keeping. get it to the vets as soon as possible, just so slim down the chances of your other one getting it. you can get heat packs that you stick in the microwave to help keep it warm, or use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towland place him in the footwell of you car with the heater on him, this will help keep warm on your travells!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I was thinking the same, maybe inbreeding if she thinks its 'normal' too?

also, just a point, when ever you get new animals from different shops you should alwys quarintine for at least amonth so if you do have problems, if wont affect your others. I'd get them separated and keep a close eye on your other one.]

Good luck raising hell. That certainly does look sore.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I was thinking the same, maybe inbreeding if she thinks its 'normal' too?
yeh... NOT that i think its fair to pass judgment but she prolly is a little inbred to be so stupid yes.. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much guys. I found a vet near me that deals with reps. got an appointment for tommorrow and said if i can take him back to the shop (which i'd rather not do i feel so bad for him) then ill call to cancel the appointment. I called the shop and talked to the manager not sure if i was very nice but she said bring him back in a kinda weird tone. but thats what i'm going to do, you guys are right its different to have my reps get sick the vet would be my first trip but i bought this guy then i have to pay just as much as i paid for him to have the vet look at him, and it might not help, so dispite how bad i feel for him i think its the best thing to do. I'll just be sad for a while.

thanks again soooooooooo much!!!!!

Jai

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
dont feel too bad about taking him back but i would get onto the authorities and get that shop checked out,if its contagious alot of other people may be taking them into healthy homes,keep an eye on your other one and id go back to that shop to get a healthy buddy,also id mention the shop name(if youre allowed on here,not sure)just to help others avoid it in canada

1 - 20 of 23 Posts