Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the endless same old that every caresheet has copied. LOL. Seriously, whats the do's and don'ts. I'm moving to my own flat with a mate next year and I think I'll get one. Get to save for afew months so I'll buy a nice morph. Any tips/hints/nono's would help alot :) Thanks.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I'm with Jakeman on this - I was only used to a BP before getting a boa and all I did the other day (I was a day late feeding her) was to walk pass her viv when she suddenly whacked against the glass - quite surprised I turned back toward the viv and she struck against the glass again. I leant down to look at her (first time she'd done this to me) and she was in an s-shape following my every movement with intent. I have no doubt if I'd opened that viv she'd have had me :lol: I think my new motto is going to be always to feed my boa on strict schedule!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
females are better behaved than males in general but females get bigger in general. when you pick it up make sure it can't see your hand or it'll have you. but my boa is my nicest snake. much nicer than my vicious little corns

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Don't use heatmats with adults as they often end in burns when inside a viv (racking etc can get away with it though)

Don't feed with hands - i know a lot of people seem to hand feed baby boas but the feed response is like a freight train once they're well attached to the concept of food in belly

Do be aware of info on IBD if you own pythons as well - not seen very often i don't think but is still important to know about it

·
Registered
508 Posts
good Idea Rob asking those who know, care sheets are fantastic but I think asking keepers is far better as you tend to get 'little quirks' that care sheets dont tell you about....Like the feeding... our 1st one (who unfourtunatly is no longer with us :cry: and I would prefer not to talk about as I'm still mega upset ) was a really sluggish feeder however we had a new baby who strike feeds stronger than I had experienced in a long time.
I have another question also to add if you dont mind... our new one burrows is this normal... I dont mean a little bit but the whole of him completely under his sub, again our other one didnt but this one does ?? this is something else I cant find on any care sheet... thanks guys for your help :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
yes they do have a tendancy to burrow, wouldnt worry about it!

ive got 3 boas and what i have learnt is this:

dont keep them on beech wood chips (in my experience wasnt the best). orchid bark etc is better due to humidity properties and will aid in shedding time.

never had the problem of them thinking hand/fingers are food so that is a new one on me but i feed with 10" forceps and have done since getting them.

dont handle for 2 days after a feed.

if they hiss just back off abit, but you can still go to handle them etc, but just more slowly.

more skittish when in the blue (about to shed) so dont tend to handle them!

mine are buggars and when i decide its time for them to go back they have other ideas so just be careful when closing your viv up not to catch them.

provide a big enough waterbowl for them to soak in.

bare in mind some boas like to climb and some do not so design your cage accordingly.

the younger the boa the less grip and co-ordination they seem to have from my lot, but the more they are handled (and grow older) they get used to wrapping around and keeping hold a hell of alot better! can easily make your fingers go numb.

and the usuals...thermal gradient, use a stat etc etc

sure theres more but is early, im tired and brain not functioning :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Boas are generally very docile.. Had mine a good few months now (neonates) and they have never stuck.. I think they main tip that anyone can give you is already said above.. Never under estimate the feeding response of a boa. Its incredable and if they scent food they will strike at you! Your the hot bit. Always feed using tongs and don't dick about put it straight to the nose of you boa.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so no hand feeding (I don't handfeed anyway) and handle with care (as they may eat fingers). Is it really a thing about males being more aggressive? I was rather hoping for a male. Two foot less in length is a big + when you only have a small flat.
How are they in the company of other snakes? Not that I will have anything in the same viv with them but I will likely have various other snakes in the same room.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
As long as you don't get them all out together you'll be fine.. I don't think boas are very carniverous when it comes to other snakes.. but u shouldn't get them all out together.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool cool.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
my male is as placid as the two females and i can get 2 out at the same time and they will quite happily spend time with each other, but was very very cautious when i first introduced them. now they tend to go searching for each other and spend most of their time wrapped around my hand and themselves, no hissing or aggressive behaviour but i only tend to do that if there is not just me in the room just incase it goes go wrong! if im by myself i only get the one out though but i havnt tried all 3 out together though :?

as for other species i am unsure, but when my boa and beardie have seen each other the snake tends to ignore the beardie but the beardie goes nuts :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yeah if you got two boas out and wandering round each other you'll be fine... just make sure its not a 1.5ft neonate and a fully grown female :lol:

I really wouldn't introduce other species though, you'll never know what the reaction will be. I would of thought most will simple ignore each other but its not worth risking.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL I had a gecko who was cool with almost all my animals until he got a girlfriend. Then the Hognose who's tank was right beside him became enemy number one! He'd shake his tail and lunge at the glass lol. Funny little man.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL I know lol I'm not 5!
Just mean to say that its funny how animals who see each other often (through glass) can change under certain conditions (in that case, defence over a female)

·
Registered
749 Posts
first thing i would say, as everyone else has said, they are incredibly fast when theres food about, keep fingers, arms, legs, pet jack russells etc, well out of the way at dinner time 8)
secondly, they are strong, you'd probably have more trouble removing a 10ft boa than you would a 15ft+ burm if it got a hold of someone.
but that aside, they are generally pretty placid snakes, mine allow a certain amount of fuss to be made of them when they come out, the male more so than the female.

i dont strike feed mine anymore, they are quite happy to have the food put in and they'll eat it without the whole constricting process - which is good in my case as they're colombians so will be around the 10ft mark and pretty muscular when fully grown!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts