Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nhandu colorvitillus (I think thats how you spell it) is on its back and I am panicing!!! When they die do they lie on their backs or is it moulting,I have sparayed around it to raise the humidity is that the right thing to do? its half under its cork bark if it is moulting will it be able to get out of its skin? or should I move the cork bark help please!!!

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
they get on their backs to moult when they die they stay upright and their legs curl underneath the, take out any live food that is in there then leave it in peace, dont disturb it. put it in a dark place, and you should find it will shed.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Siuk for the quick reply...It hasnt eaten for a couple of weeks now and I thought it may be due a moult, I have taken the food out but I am worried about it getting stuck under the cork bark as there is not much room between the T and the bark..I cannot belive how nervous I am I am shaking like a leaf and my heart is goin ninty to the dozen lol

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
leave the bark where it is.
Mine has moulted down a burrow before, they generally know what they're doing.lol

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I agree, looks like a moult, just leave it in peace and be suprised at how much bigger it seems :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thanks Siuk for the quick reply...It hasnt eaten for a couple of weeks now and I thought it may be due a moult, I have taken the food out but I am worried about it getting stuck under the cork bark as there is not much room between the T and the bark..I cannot belive how nervous I am I am shaking like a leaf and my heart is goin ninty to the dozen lol
As Si said above , Just remove any crickets , close the tub and leave well alone it will moult this evening .. Do not feed for about a week and make sure there is a small shallow bowl or similar with fresh water in ...
Enjoy . this is possibly the most amazing part of keeping Tarantulas ..
Good luck ...Nige:whip:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will leave it alone and hope it does ok should I put a towel over the tank so its dark?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
both of my slings have moulted without me knowing till I found the skin but I actually saw this one flip on its back don't think I will get much sleep tonight lol

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
just leave the T completely alone, if you disturb it you can cause it to panic and try and flip back over.
Its definately shedding, not dead. Its a big T so there shouldnt be any complications. just let the T do its thing, itll be finished in a while. dont panic if it takes a few hours, it usually does.
Sit and watch through the glass if ya like, great to watch them come out new and shiny! :2thumb:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
watch it, it can be a slow process but an amazing thing to watch.
You can put a towel over the top of the tank, if you dampen the towel it will help hold the humidity in too

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will try and stay up to watch it gotta be up at 5 in the morning for work I will just have to get some pro-plus on the way lol
The last time I was this nervous was when my nephew was being born lol

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Yeah as every1 has said leave it alone. The more you do to the spid the more likely it is to go wrong. Don't panic :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think I will try and stay up to watch it gotta be up at 5 in the morning for work I will just have to get some pro-plus on the way lol
The last time I was this nervous was when my nephew was being born lol
Try to get a few photos for yourself , it good to look back .
I stayed with my lasiodora dificilis on new years eve . Whole process took about 7 hours, i took around 50 photos at 5-10 min intervals.
Its a real eye opener to see how much effort actually goes into a molt , and its fascinating to watch them pumping themselves to work the legs out .
Good luck , im sure all will go well for you ....
Nige:eek:oo:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I think it has finished, it started like pumping its body around 12, but unfortunatly I couldnt keep my eyes open. When I have come down this morning there is a moult at the entrance to its burrow, do I remove it or will it push it out on its own?
Will post pics when it emerges.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Yey, well done spiddy. Remove the moult, but make sure you don't touch the T its self as they are very fragile after a moult.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Why does everyone remove moults??? For terrestrials yer... but i normally wait for spids to throw them out before i go getting them out.. and i dont get them out of burrows... dont see the point... my old obt's used to use their moults as wallpaper lol

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have reomved the moult the T is moving and active but still hasn't come out of its burrow. I am just glad it made it, it's my first moult of a decent sized spid lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts