Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just woken up by a noise. I looked around and one of the dogs calmly walks in the bedroom. I hear the noise again and decide to get up, seeing my old dog lying in the hall she goes to get up and i get her into the bedroom and shut the door. I hear the noise again, not very loud, the loudness alone wouldn`t wake you, (it`s just like when u hear an alarm going off in the next house, it`s not loud enough to be for u but amongst all the day to day noises u still hear the alarm and understand its urgency). I am at the top of the stair`s now and can tell it is coming from down the stair`s. I stall for a moment hoping to hear it again, to try and work out where it came from or what it is, hoping to get close and see what the reason for the noise is. I make my way to the bottom of the stair`s having still not heard the noise again, i hedge my bets, it is most lightly to have come from the lounge. I turn on the light and the bird shift`s it`s self as it always does when you suddenly turn on the light when it has been dark. I make my way round the room, the frogs and shut in and no sign of disturbance, the male yemen's the same, and the female yemen's, then i see feathers, quite afew of them on the floor, i look up at the cockatiel and realise It only has only tail feather left, Then i see blood, it`s hard to tell if it is coming from the wing or the chest, not gushing or even dripping, just a red patch. I go upstairs`s and wake my husband and he comes downstairs`s with me. We have checked the bird as much as we can, but he won`t let us look at the wing and i didn`t want to stress him out any more so i put him back. But what happened to cause the bird to have this injury and lose his tail feathers?
He is alone in the cage. The only other animals in the room i have listed above and had been checked as i went round the room.After the bird is a crestie, who is undisturbed. The door to the lounge had been open, with a shut stair gate. There is a rescue kitty in the house, but he is shut in the bathroom and is still there. The ferrets are outside. The beardie and the rankins are still small and shut away upstairs. The dog that had walked into the room way a collie and quite easily fixates on things, i am sure, if she had attacked the bird, she wouldn`t have left it alone, and also the old dog in the hall would have snapped at her if she had been past her, there for ruling out the first dog having been downstairs. I did check under the couch and chairs in the room and found nothing but feathers. Would a mouse have attacked? We do get the odd mouse. But we have never had a rat or anything, There is also no sign of any other uninvited animal. No open windows. My husband thinks the bird fell or caught its wing in the bars. But that just doesn`t sit right with me. There are no snakes in the house. So now i am awake, unable to sleep in case i hear a noise, ( but unable to stay in the lounge in case anything IS in there) and scared the bird will now drop dead from it`s wound or shock. Can anyone think what could have happened?

·
Registered
614 Posts
de de de dum de de de dum...you have now entered .....The Twilight Zone !

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teock (the teil) is looking shaken, but still with us. I am going to leave him in a quite room for abit and check on him late, when i will get him out and clean the cage and look for anything odd.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Where is the bird kept .... i mean is it by a window?

Chances are its been spooked by something (possibly through a nearby window?) and in the dark once they panic they tend to try and fly ... panic ... cant get a grip on the bars .... panic ... before you know it half the tail feathers are out and its hurt its wing ....

I would be more than inclined to take it to the vets for a check up!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is about as far away from a window as you can get in the room. Nothing close to it that moves, just book case ect.

He has lost all his long wing and tail feathers. He can`t fly. how long does for the feathers to grow back?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If bird was also shut in his cage (assume so) Then guess most likely he freaked out all by himself or was spooked by a noise or something.
My cockatiel has done it before but just lost a few wing /tail feathers - but mine is old and senile anyhow - and prone to falling off his water feeder bit when falls asleep on it and then getting into a flapping fuddle on occasion.

Had mice in house before and they never bothered parrot or cockatiel - even though I sat up and caught on on floor of parrot cage one night.....:devil:

He could have just got spooked and bounced himself off the sides of his cage - from description I can't see what else could have happened ?

edit to add...probably take a good while for all his feathers to come back

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sounds like your Tiel has had a Night Fright - very common in this species.

The amount of blood they loose when knocking blood feathers out always looks like a massacre has happened. If you are worried get him checked over by an avian vet.

In the meantime here is some info that might be useful
Night Frights

1 - 8 of 8 Posts