Reptile Forums banner

OMG what do I do???

965 views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  sazzle 
#1 ·
Just walking past my leo's viv and noticed something odd went to have a look and SHE'S LAID TWO EGGS!!! What do I do now? Only had her a couple of weeks.

#2 ·
Its breeding season to some lizards!
If you haven't bred her with a male then I doubt that these eggs are fertile, best way to check though since you've only had her 2 weeks is to candle them and see if somethings growing inside.

#3 ·
if you have somewere to incubate , try that as if you got from a pet shop thats been housed with other leos (males) then possibly they may be fertile. As stated candle them at about 2 weeks even tho mine showed what they call a bulls eye a large red ring with a red dot in the middle of it at about a week. Also females can tend to produce eggs even tho not been mated. Just make sure she has well gutloaded food and dusted well with calcium as she will used it to produce the eggs . Good luck

#4 ·
Agree with Marie, if the place you got the leo from was a breeder then may be send an email inquiring if she was housed alone or with others females or males. That would help ruling out the possibility she has laid down fertile eggs.

#5 ·
I think they are fertile I shone a torch behind them and could see red swirly lines. I have bought some "Hatchrite" and put them in a box on a heat mat. I will feed her a bit later as I think she is a little sulky that I have taken her babies away from her lol. She has some dusted mealies in there for now.

Should I put some of the hatchrite substrate in the viv in case she lays more?

#10 ·
rememebr to keep the hatchrite moist so the eggs don't dry out! also don't sit the tub directly onto a heatmat. i assume you have it attached to a thermostat? if you can get your hands on a polystyrene box and put the mat inside with the egg box just above the mat you will find a diy incubator will work well. just ierce a few holes in the polybox and hook up to a thermostat. never failed me yet!

#11 ·
For a poly box go to your local supermarket that has a fish counter. They should have one they will give u, just make sure u give it a wash out lol

#13 ·
I have them in a box that my husband bought to house juvi t's. It has plenty of air holes but it is on a heat mat (I will take it off). I followed the instructions on the substrate and it said to put 2/3 of the egg into the substrate. The substrate says not to add water as it has the correct humidity but I want to check should there be lots of condensation? Its very wet in there. I might be able to get my husband to post a picture (I'm at work at the moment so pretty helpless).

The other thing is that mum is still refusing food and she has moved her water bowl and calcium dish in front of the hide where she had the eggs. I am worried that she is in distress because I took her babies :(

#14 ·
they usually go off their food for a few days when they lay eggs.
just keep offering her lots of different food, well gutlaoded and dusted, she should start eating soon enough

they dont pine for their eggs, she`ll lay another two in 2 to 4 weeks time.

has she got a moist lay box full of moss or eco earth to lay them in?

#16 ·
she`ll be happier with a lay box, have you not got a moist hide in there for her?

you can get an ice cream tub or sandwich box or similar,
clean it out,
cut a hole in the top for her to get in and out of ( make sure it has no sharp edges )

and half fill it with moist ecoearth or moss and put it on the cold side, she`ll use it for shedding her skin and laying eggs in.
she`ll be much happier with somewhere to dig about in and bury her eggs

#20 ·
She is not housed with a male so I will have to wait and see how many more batches she lays. Not intending on breeding after that - although it depends how it all goes I guess! The tub is sealed but I have put plenty of ventilation holes in.

#21 ·
Personally I'd freeze the eggs then bin them along with any others, do your research on hatchlings, be prepared for lots of hatchlings, get yourself a proper incubator and look into it the following season if it's what you want to do. You have no idea what she may have been paired up with and if it was an enigma, do you think you would be able to cope with potentially having all the babies suffering from the syndrome and having to assist them with eating, shedding etc and potentially paying to have them put to sleep? Breeding isn't something to be taken lightly, it takes up a lot of time feeding cleaning ensuring mums are well supplemented etc x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.