Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think its fair to keep one tortoise on its own. Do they
get lonley? Im only asking because
you all seem to have more than one and thats got me thinking that
maybe i should get him some company.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One on its own is fine its just i find them quite addictive and wanted more :shock:
You have to consider if you want another one that there will probably have to be a period of quarantine to make sure they dont pass on any diseases to each other,also you have to be prepared that they may not get on when they get older so will have to have space for 2 enclosures. If you decide to get another please get one from a breeder and not shop or online(as im sure youve already learnt!)
hth

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
To be honest, although tortoises are solitary animals in the wild, hatchlings that have been kept together since hatching do respond to each other and seem to adapt to new homes better when they go in pairs. Having sold lots of babies, the people who take two or more always say how personable they are and how they eat almost the minute they get them back home. Sometimes this happens with single babies but usually they take a while longer to settle and eat, which to my mind means that they are suffering stress from being removed from their clutch mates :( Just an observation you understand Mrs D ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great well if there fine on their own Which he does seem to be.
he's active and eating, but if you all would have said they really should
be in pairs or multiples I would have gotten him freinds without hesitation
I would hate to think he was lonley. If i ever do get another one though
i would definatly buy it from a breeder and never a pet shop again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also if you get others you have to keep them in quarenteen for about 6 months to make sure they arent carrying anything nasty before you put it in with your current tort. Just so you know! :) x x

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
we got our second tort yesterday,its from the same breeder and from the same year and its made our original tort,move around more and eat more,seems a lot perkier too.:)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
im funny about things like that i dont like keeping things on there own i always keep sell buy things in 2's or more :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts