Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just after some opinions on an idea of mine
Ok basically in September I'm off to university but theres a problem...for my first year I will be living in student accomadation and as you have probably guessed they don't allow "pets of any catergory, whether the animal in question be mammalian,reptillian, amphibious or aquarium based" into student housing. This means I am currently educating my mother in appropriate Legs (nelsons milk) care which is actually going remarkably well :shock: BUT due to my choice in universities I could be anywhere from a couple of hours away or I could be at the other end of the country (a flight, a train journey and an expensive cab journey away) and that could be a HUGE problem if anything were to go wrong...which brings me to my clever idea...installing a webcam in the vivarium so that I could just check up on Legs every now and then and monitor him closely myself if something was wrong...but do you think this would work????
If you think its a dumb idea then say so as I've never attempted anything like this before and am unsure of the benefits/problems.
x Thanks in advance x

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
its a great idea, people set them up in incubators to check on eggs, and there are a few 'herp cams' about on the web, so there is no reason why it would not work, just make sure Legs does not get star struck and start demanding special treatment !

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would say trust your mum. after all she managed to get you to the stage where you can leave home and go to university, i would guess she can look after a snake with one hand tied behind her back.

To install a webcam would show a disgusting lack of respect for your mother.

Happy new year,xx

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
i think thats quite a clever idea but take into consideration that mean wires going in and out of the tank? but then you might be planning on setting it up diff:)
i dooubt anything would go wrong as im in your situation aswell i have 80 odd reptiles at the moment and counting and i study away from home but my parents are really good at looking after them.
as for your snake keeping all you mum has to do is defrost a mouse once a week and bang it in aswell as picming out poo's and giving freash water:)
nothing to serious:D
if i doubt you could get a minder for legs while your goine like a neighbour or a firend that knwos how to look after them properly or do i what i do i have some reptiles at college with me but thats only becaus ethey have an *on campus* farm:) i used the excuse they can use my reps as long as they feed them lol so there you go try that one:DD
soz iv stummbled off the subject

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bog standard normal one lass

Take care

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
if you pop it in to a bulb guard then it will keep everything away from legs so he can not pull it down or move it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually Slapshot she thinks its a great idea i think its mainly to reassure her as shes a bit nervous about looking after him still as we live in a teeny tiny village in the middle of nowhere and no family/friends (except for a distant cousin in wales somewhere) has ever kept any kind of reptile saying that shes been a star so far she just needs a bit of confidence :D an wires are no problem i have a cunning plan to deal with them :twisted:

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Where in wiltshire are you, im sure there is some one from the forum near you who would be willing to assist, and pop in from time to time or even be on the end of a fone if needed,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that'd be great :D although I don't want to cause problems for anyone :shock: the nearest town to me is Devizes dunno if thats any help to anyone....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts