Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello what is your Opinions on fish and snails in a turtle tank. Someone suggested they help clean the water and look nice in the tank.

My musks are a good size and quick and i am sure would try to eat them.

Just wwondering what others so. I hadnt even thought of it until a friend said.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hello what is your Opinions on fish and snails in a turtle tank. Someone suggested they help clean the water and look nice in the tank.

My musks are a good size and quick and i am sure would try to eat them.

Just wwondering what others so. I hadnt even thought of it until a friend said.
Fish are a possibility, however, as you might have guessed already Snails would very quickly be " past tense". Musk turtles are very significant molluscivores and will consume them in great quantity. I myself, keep a number of Kinosternidae Turtle species and in most of their separate enclosures there are also breeding shoals of Guppies. these will occasionally get taken but the breeding populations keep a healthy numbers going in the various tanks.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I actually breed snails specifically to feed.

Spot cleaning and good filtration will keep your tank clean enough. Adding more creatures will only add to mess already there.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
this year there is no life left in my pond...amphibians, molluscs et al are history. I think terrapins are pretty opportunistic when it comes to eating outdoors. They prove much more finnicky when it comes to being indoors though..dont know why ..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I keep a few fish in with my musks and they seem fine. Go for fast species of fish so the turts can not catch them. I have some zebre danios and some neon tetras in my tank, i know these are tropical fish but they seem to be ok without a heater.

I have been looking for some snails as feeder food as well but i really do not know which ones to get that are safe for my turts? So any ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.