Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently ordered a tortoise table from petzoo, but apparently it hasnt even started being built yet. I am tempted to cancel my order and buy this Table It is a lot cheaper and does the same thing in effect. Can I get some opinions please because i just cant decide

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
It's a nice table but the sides aren't really high enough at 4". If you had two torts in there who climbed on top of each other in a corner on top of the depth of substrate the top one could get out. You'd have to be very careful not to put anything they could climb on near the edges as well with that height.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Hi, i dont know how much petzoo are charging, but i'd cancel anyway and make your own, its simple and far more cheaper, as for the one in the link, 3x2ft is suitable for a hatchling, but height wise seems to small, b&q stock pine shelving which make great tables, iv a few.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im useless at DIY, Id balls it up. i know i would

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have cancelled my order with petzoo. Now i need a table

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Bed box set ups:

If you're dead set on a wooden table you could use one of these as a temporary set up until you get a wood one.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
ikea underbed box. bargain of the century! or buy a bookcase and put it on its back without the shelves in. or get an indoor guinea pig house with the wire cage on top and VOILA instant portable outdoor enclosure. options are endless.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
This could work out suitable, as its deep, and cheap too, works out just under 3x3ft and nearly a 1ft high, bang on i'd say lol. just add a few more tacks to the base
Buy Pine Small Extra Deep Bookcase. at Argos.co.uk

P.s theres other colours available too lol
Have you used those Linz? I looked at the bookcases in Ikea the other night but couldn't decide if the backs (or bottoms as they would be) would be strong enough. Might go for a larger bookcase when I upgrade in size again if they're okay.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Hi Tina, a couple of years back with one of my margies i did, all i did (well hubby) was buy a thin peice of plinth wood and tacked alround the edges and one across the middle for extra support, worked a treat.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Just like to add though, the substrate i used was soil and hemp mixed, so probably not as heavy as using sand, soil mix, but worked a treat for a smaller tort as you dont need as much/deeper substrate.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think i`ll go with the Ikea box, £12 for a 1m x 58cm one, bargain!

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
when adapting a bookcase it better to use a piece of mdf or ply to replace the backing and then if you are going to use soil/sand cover the base in an off cut of lino or tarp. seals the bottom and keeps it from leaking. i have had great success with this and saved a fortune!

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
the bookcase that was listed, I have Buy Pine Tall Wide Extra Deep Bookcase. at Argos.co.uk ...same one as the little one but bigger. Okay until they start to get larger & then i personally found it on the shallow side.especially for burrowers like horsfields

the back when it arrived was very very thin...well i dont know what you'd call it..but the pieces were celotaped together.on the back.. so reinforced it all around with 2" x 4" (i think) & it worked well for us. Certainly aint a pretty DIY job, my other half is clunk, but it worked out okay.

Have you used those Linz? I looked at the bookcases in Ikea the other night but couldn't decide if the backs (or bottoms as they would be) would be strong enough. Might go for a larger bookcase when I upgrade in size again if they're okay.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have bought the table I mentioned first, but the man said he will do it with 6" sides for an extra £4, so I said yes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts