Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to keep two dogs together without issues with them mating, my boy is 6 months now, I want to get another pup to keep him company when we are out but I dont really want to castrate him unil he is around 18 months.

I dont really want to get another boy as apparently mals dont normally get on with other males and I dont want to risk having issues when he hits adolescence

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Get a spayed female. Simples :2thumb:
We have a dog and a bitch living under the same roof - the dog was castrated within a week of bringing him home.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you put a dog and a bitch together and the bitch goes into season, you can expect the dog to do whatever he can to spread his genes. Unless you are confident you can keep them separated if the bitch goes into season I'd recommend you wait until he's neutered.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i kept a bitch and dog together and never had a problem they were never seperated and the dog wasnt chopped and the female wasnt scooped i guess i was just lucky with mine

·
Registered
13,799 Posts
i kept a bitch and dog together and never had a problem they were never seperated and the dog wasnt chopped and the female wasnt scooped i guess i was just lucky with mine
had mine together with no issues too, he never looked at her that way once. big dogs can be disinterested like that though.

if you`re not breeding why wait till 18 months for de-nutting?

i wouldnt keep a female entire either though......

·
Registered
736 Posts
its cruel to neuter any male before full sexual maturity its proven to leave them hormonally puppiefied for life...

you wouldn't do a operation that leaves your kids mentally retarded so why keep your dogs puppiefied for life??? :devil:

personally serialisation is up there with fang/claw pulling and is cruel to do it.... think about it how is it any difference your removing the dogs natural organs cos you potentially cant cope.... thats all...

·
Registered
13,799 Posts
must be why so many vets neuter at 5 months old then, what with all their training and the ethics they have to abide by :whistling2: i`m sure the rcvs tolerate cruelty from its members

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is perfectly possible to keep entire opposite-sex dogs in the same house with no accidental matings (I do), but you have to be totally committed to keeping them apart when she's in season. Not just you, but EVERYONE in the house, including visitors, which is the difficult bit - other people tend to forget even if you won't. It'll be more difficult with big strong dogs as well (mine are smaller) as the chance of them breaking down doors etc is obviously there. TBH, in your situation I'd wait until your current pup is mature and thoroughly trained, go ahead and neuter when he's fully mature (I agree it isn't a good idea to neuter too young), and then get your second. Raising two pups at the same time is hard, and a 6 month old is still a pup. Any tiny bad habits the resident dog has will get taught to the new dog, and training two dogs is worlds harder than training one.

·
Registered
736 Posts
so have i and worked them for over 10 years and been involved with breeding working lines since i was about 6...

no one neuters in working circles before sexual maturity and it is well proven to biologically stump a male mentally wether you interpret this as right fair or cruel is up to you im just stating on bare bone facts you are wrong... : victory:

and the reason for neutering being so common in domestic pets?

dogs will be dogs and owners often complete retards who'd let it happen its better than 7,000,000 puppies being born each year in the veterinary professions eyes...

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Ive had had multiple dogs all my life(10 at the minute) and never had a problem castrating dogs at 6 months or 18 months, they have never shown any differance in behaviour at all

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
its cruel to neuter any male before full sexual maturity its proven to leave them hormonally puppiefied for life...

you wouldn't do a operation that leaves your kids mentally retarded so why keep your dogs puppiefied for life??? :devil:

personally serialisation is up there with fang/claw pulling and is cruel to do it.... think about it how is it any difference your removing the dogs natural organs cos you potentially cant cope.... thats all...
Both of my dogs are neutered. It's not cruel and it's certainly nothing to do with me not being able to cope.

Thousands of healthy dogs are destroyed in this country every year. There are too many dogs, too many backyard breeders and not enough good homes out there.

Neutering your dog is part of being a responsible dog owner. Not to mention the potential health benefits of neutering.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think the debate is centred on whether or not early neutering is or is not detrimental to the health of the dog in later life. Your point is valid, insofar as early neutering may well affect the dog's hormonal development but for a lot of owners this is part of the reason for castration. There are no studies that categorically prove early castration is massively detrimental to the health of the dog... Indeed, as said above, a responsible owner will ensure their pet is neutered in order to prevent unwanted procreation. Poor breeding practice is more detrimental to pups IMO, than early castration. That's my opinion anyway, and you are of course entitled to your own.

·
Registered
699 Posts
In answer to the original question :whistling2:..if you were to get a bitch now, you'd have two options. She will come into season probably between 6-9 months, and if your dog is currently six months, that is going to be a problem if you don't neuter him until 18 mths. For most breeds (eek can of worms...) spaying before the first season IMO is the better option. However in large breeds I understand it is associated with urinary incontinence in later years, so vet would probably advise she have a season first. Therefore you will either go through a very rough time keeping them apart (sounds easy in theory but believe me ITS NOT!!) or risk a very young pregnant bitch.
I think you should heed previous advice and wait til your dog is neutered.
However, even neutered males will mate with bitches in season. No you won't get pups but although he'll be having a great time, his live in bitch may not be so impressed at continued advances!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
i completely understand the reasons why it is done but i think that the vast majority of people are ignorant to the impact it can have more so with dogs over bitches ill admit but still relevant in females (and this seems to be pretty much proven fact in most working dog communities eyes). and ive never said neutering is cruel ive said to remove a dogs organs before they are fully developed is cruel cos imo it is, i wouldn't hold back a child's development nor is it ethical to suggest to do so so why is it with a animal in your care???

and as far as castration being used as a control on a dogs development again this is proven less than effective:
i'm presuming this point is in reference to cases of overlay wild, aggressive and dominant dogs... at best studies have shown castration is only a maximun of 40% of case's with such animals and there is no way to prove or test its effectiveness prior to the op...

seriously if you want to keep two dogs in one house apart for the length of a season it is not hard, you either rotate the two through a crate or kennel/run durring the corse of a day or you turn two door handles upside down and keep them in rooms with at least one room or hallway between then (two shut doors) for the durration of the season and walk them separately... : victory:

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Can I just point out, the OP said they wanted a bitch to keep the male company while they were out - so there's no way in Hell they can stop accidental matings if they're not there to watch the dogs!

·
Registered
818 Posts

My boy was castrated at 5 months and he is not hormonally puppiefied , he is 1 very happy and well balanced dog.

I dont agree with you that its cruel at all, why keep an entire dog if your not going to breed with it, having all though raging hormones.

·
Registered
736 Posts
ive never said neutering is cruel ive said to remove a dogs organs before they are fully developed is cruel cos imo it is
and Ophexis: yes there is crate's... or kennels/runs side by side... and the duration of a season is not ever either they would be together the majority of the time...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.