Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to use this form of substrate ...is it best to mix it in wiv the peat or scatter on top of the peat...and what grade is best to use ...fine or medium???
Matt

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
personally, i would prefer eco earth. at least an acidic media. fungus is the enemy. peat is very good.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Put a layer on top of the peat and use coarse. It stops the frogs getting covered with substrate and gives the feeder insects places to hide and breed within the viv where the frogs are less likely to get at them.

A layer about 1.5cm is sufficient.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coarse ??? also my pc is playing up didnt recive the pics of your vivs do you mind trying to send again please
Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Guess it would be classed as medium then, chunks are around 2cm x 2cm.

Haven't had a chance to send the pics yet as I can't find my external drive so I'll take a couple more today and send them over.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
think soft and acidic...compact the soil/substrate. no fluffy stuff. an aged floor.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oryt thats ok so let me see if i have got this ryt lol i put a layer of about 1.5cm of medium grade bark on the layer of peat not mixed in with the peat.
matt

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
my stuff is just a suggestion...i'm very much old school. things may have changed since. listen to current keepers. i may be outdated in my ways.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yes, that will be fine. People also use oak leaves or other forms of leaf litter, orchid bark is just what has always worked well for me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oryt well im going to make a start on seting up my viv 2day as for the uv lighting i have a 18" tube will that be ok and how do i attatch it to the viv
cheers
matt

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just rest the light on top of the lid. You can either rest it on the glass plates (as I do) or slide one forward a bit and rest it on the mesh. If you don't have one, a reflector (available at most herp or aquatic shops for a few £) will increase the light into the viv substantially.

EDIT: Morning KJ, how are you doing?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oryt cheers thanks again for your help i keep you updated on my viv
matt

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Look forward to it, it's very satisfying to set up a viv that is in effect a mini ecosystem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts