Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get bark for your snakes? I was considering getting a large bag from asda fora few quid but it doesn't actually say what bark was in it and didn't want to risk it. I usually use a mix of orchid bark and peat, but apart from the local reptile shop I was wondering where you guys get yours?

·
Registered
889 Posts
i should imagine b and q do orchid bark, and one of their potting soil mixes is 75% peat rest coco-coir, orchid bark etc.
homebase would prob do the same

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
When I had lots of tarantulas I used Erin's Irish moss peat as this one was the only safe one to use (I was told anyway) big garden centres will do this also garden centres are the best place for bark but I would ask questions if there are any treatments used on it? For example. Weed killers or pesticides, try contacting a company called clover as they do 75L bags of bark which garden centres sell for about £5?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you could try either of these places, they are both competitively priced.

Livefoods By Post - Reptile Food, livefoods, reptile supplies, online reptile shop

Vivariums, Reptile Supplies & Live Food | Swell Reptiles

I saw some in b&q and the bag happened to be split :whistling2: so I had a look at it and the quality of it didn't seem to be as good (lots of dirt and dust) as I had bought from reptile supply shops so I didn't get it.
Both are more expensive than my local rep shop. This is why I haven't bothered buying any of the cheap stuff from asda, it just doesn't tell you what is in it, which is really frustrating. I was hoping someone had perhaps found out a bulk bag that was cheap and they knew exactly what was in it. Might have to send a few emails to the manufacturers.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I was searching the other day actually as I have been on aspen the lay few months (brought a 70l bag for £10- it gets bloody everywhere) I found 70l bark for about £25 on google that's the best price I could find (that was "reptile safe")

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Just use astroturf (artificial grass). It's easy to clean, holds moisture, but keeps the snake away from any wet areas. It's a bit expensive, but it goes a long way and lasts ages.

Not good for burrowing snakes, though!

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just use astroturf (artificial grass). It's easy to clean, holds moisture, but keeps the snake away from any wet areas. It's a bit expensive, but it goes a long way and lasts ages.

Not good for burrowing snakes, though!
I don't like the look of that at all lol, bark/peat all around here!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I've just bought 20 bags of orchid bark from B&Q. Lovely stuff for gardens. However, it does contain massive amounts of weedkiller, which is evident by the smell once you get it in the car (enclosed space) or rip the bag open.

I would never use it for animals. : victory:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've just bought 20 bags of orchid bark from B&Q. Lovely stuff for gardens. However, it does contain massive amounts of weedkiller, which is evident by the smell once you get it in the car (enclosed space) or rip the bag open.

I would never use it for animals. : victory:
is that a bag of orchid compost by any chance, v similar product, but the compost contain peat and other things mixed in for orchids, just orchid bark on its own should just basically be a bag of wood chippings, which i'm not sure they actually have in b&q

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
is that a bag of orchid compost by any chance, v similar product, but the compost contain peat and other things mixed in for orchids, just orchid bark on its own should just basically be a bag of wood chippings, which i'm not sure they actually have in b&q
Nope, it's decorative bark. I've used it for years as its great at controlling weeds. It's just bark, no dust and looks great in the garden. £3 for a 20kg bag, it's at the door before you walk in at the 3 B&Q stores I've been to.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nope, it's decorative bark. I've used it for years as its great at controlling weeds. It's just bark, no dust and looks great in the garden. £3 for a 20kg bag, it's at the door before you walk in at the 3 B&Q stores I've been to.
if its at the door, and they keep other soil mixes etc nearby then i imagine the ferts would leach across to it, or it could just be the smell of it decomposing

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
if its at the door, and they keep other soil mixes etc nearby then i imagine the ferts would leach across to it, or it could just be the smell of it decomposing
No it says on the bag it contains weed killer. Why is it so hard to believe?

Edit: This is similar. decorative bark, to control weeds. Note the comments about the 'lovely' smell. Would not use for snakes, but of course others are welcome to try. http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10288046/reviews.htm

·
Registered
889 Posts
well obviously you wouldn't use that, that's not what anyone was talking about, thats clearly a weed control mulch, not plain wood chippings or orchid compost, :2thumb:

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Could never see any in b&q, this is the only one I found on their website

Verve Orchid Compost 6L, 0000003723265

For that price and size I might as well keep buying it from local reptile shop. I used to buy massive bags of the stuff for about £15!
Both are more expensive than my local rep shop. This is why I haven't bothered buying any of the cheap stuff from asda, it just doesn't tell you what is in it, which is really frustrating. I was hoping someone had perhaps found out a bulk bag that was cheap and they knew exactly what was in it. Might have to send a few emails to the manufacturers.

well obviously you wouldn't use that, that's not what anyone was talking about, thats clearly a weed control mulch, not plain wood chippings or orchid compost, :2thumb:
Well as compost was mentioned, and the OP was mentioning B&Q and asking what might be in different substrates, I replied. Didn't realise the thread was only about plain wood chippings :hmm::lol2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
led me to believe you were talking about plain wood chippings, and might confuse people into thinking it was OK to use, wasn't having a dig was just trying to clarify :) my bad : victory:

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
led me to believe you were talking about plain wood chippings, and might confuse people into thinking it was OK to use, wasn't having a dig was just trying to clarify :) my bad : victory:
It does look nice, and smell nice, it's a shame it's probably toxic lol my snakes are big enough now to go out in the garden but I'm scared the bark will affect them :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts