Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to Uros. I just bought a nice pair (male and female) of ornate uros from a lady that lives near me along with the tank she was keeping them in and all the supplies. She’s had them for just under 2 years and she thinks they’re about 2 and a half years old. They’re about 10 inches long each. I was actually surprised to see what she had been keeping them in for the last 2 years. She has them in a 55 gallon fish tank (48X12X19) and has no UV lights. Just a spotlight in the middle of the cage. She said she gives them all their needed vitamins with supplements (calcium and d3). They’re also on wood chip substrate which I was surprised by, but she just did this recently and said it was better than any other substrate. She said before she had them on millet, but one of the seeds got in the female’s eye and now it’s swollen and infected so she switched them to bark. The female’s eye is still a bit swollen and red and she constantly has it closed. Other than that, they both seem really healthy. They’re eating fine, they come out and bask and are very active. Their sleep schedule is normal, I’m just worried that their health could go downhill if I don’t start improving their environment (even though they’ve been there for 2 years. I just want to make sure). Where do I start? Should I switch the substrates first? Tank size for the pair? Was she right about the UV lighting? Are they really okay with just getting d3 through supplements? Because I’ve actually heard that from multiple sources. And last but not least, where do I start with the eye? I’m taking her to the vet next week but the lady I purchased her from said her eye has been healing for ONE MONTH. IN the mean time is there something I can rinse the eye with? Sorry to blast you guys with so many questions. Just want to make sure I do all this right so that they’re nice and healthy. I did a lot of research on these guys before getting them, but want to make sure that making huge changes like that right away won't stress them out. Especially when the female's eye is already infected. She doesn't need the extra stress.

P.S. I’ll post pictures later when I get the chance and actually figure out how to post pictures.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I’m new to Uros. I just bought a nice pair (male and female) of ornate uros from a lady that lives near me along with the tank she was keeping them in and all the supplies. She’s had them for just under 2 years and she thinks they’re about 2 and a half years old. They’re about 10 inches long each. I was actually surprised to see what she had been keeping them in for the last 2 years. She has them in a 55 gallon fish tank (48X12X19) and has no UV lights. Just a spotlight in the middle of the cage. She said she gives them all their needed vitamins with supplements (calcium and d3). They’re also on wood chip substrate which I was surprised by, but she just did this recently and said it was better than any other substrate. She said before she had them on millet, but one of the seeds got in the female’s eye and now it’s swollen and infected so she switched them to bark. The female’s eye is still a bit swollen and red and she constantly has it closed. Other than that, they both seem really healthy. They’re eating fine, they come out and bask and are very active. Their sleep schedule is normal, I’m just worried that their health could go downhill if I don’t start improving their environment (even though they’ve been there for 2 years. I just want to make sure). Where do I start? Should I switch the substrates first? Tank size for the pair? Was she right about the UV lighting? Are they really okay with just getting d3 through supplements? Because I’ve actually heard that from multiple sources. And last but not least, where do I start with the eye? I’m taking her to the vet next week but the lady I purchased her from said her eye has been healing for ONE MONTH. IN the mean time is there something I can rinse the eye with? Sorry to blast you guys with so many questions. Just want to make sure I do all this right so that they’re nice and healthy. I did a lot of research on these guys before getting them, but want to make sure that making huge changes like that right away won't stress them out. Especially when the female's eye is already infected. She doesn't need the extra stress.

P.S. I’ll post pictures later when I get the chance and actually figure out how to post pictures.
Pictures asap please.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Did she take teh female to a vet?

The eye will need help recovering and if the seed is still in there....

Vet would be a major thing to me.
Putting in the UV whouldnt cause too much stress, just make sure that you dont use supplements with D3 in once you have.

The woman who had them before sounds like an idiot, i would want them both properly checked over and would want to make sure the habitat was providing the basics asap.... leave any "decorative" changes for now, that should help keep stress levels lower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get pictures up the second I get the chance to take a few more. For right now I will upload one that I already have just so you can see the Uros. You can barely see the female's swollen eye in it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't think she ever took her to the vet. She said the uro has been improving drastically. If that's really the case, the eye must have been pretty bad before, because it doesn't look too good. As for the UV light, are you sure that's better than supplements? I ask because I just read some more about UV on Deer Fern Farms Uromastyx care sheet and they mention that they think the supplement is better than using the light. Here's the link. Deer Fern Farms Uromastyx Care Page
But then again, that's only one source. I want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

You barely see the swollen right eye on the female (right). This is an awful photo, but it's all I have for right now. I'll post more pictures soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
I would advise uv rather than d3 supplements because it can be difficult to get the right amount of d3 for them. A good quality high percent uv will do all that is needed. Apart from the necessities I wouldn't drastically change anything at the moment due to the stress they will be under. As said though the first thing would be to get them to a vet for a check up especially the female.

When they are less stressed get rid of the substrate they are on and put some sand in for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts