Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to find out as much info as poss about full grown adult oscars, what would be a weeks diet for them, what can they eat? and how much does it cost on average to feed an oscar per week?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ah welcome to my world (6 breeding pairs of oscars)

first question how big is your tank ??

oscars will gorge themselves if you let them so i feed mine small amounts everyday (dried mealworms pinkies as a treat locusts spiders earthworms) also good quality flake food is essential

it costs pennies to feed a oscar feel free to ask me more or pm me

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oooh.. your Oscars are gorgeous! How big a tank would be sufficient for an Oscar? My parents had one when we were young, but I can't remember the size of tank they had him in, I know it was big but not sure of the ideal.

Sam

P.S.. I'm from Leicestershire too..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
MMmmm at least a 200 ltr tank (thats for 1 adult oscar only tho) and a good external filter (i run 2 externals on each tank i have that turn over the water at least 4 x per hour so a 200ltr tank would need a 800ltr hr filter) i also run fluval plus 4 internal in each tank to polish the water and in the last 6 mnths i have done 3 x 20% water changes i also have large plecs in with my oscars any info or help im happy to answer and dont mind visiting to help either

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
nice shots there dragon and nice red hooks :) the main thing to remember with oscars as said before they are greedy messy eaters but in my experience as far as cichlids go, the biggest puppy dogs about

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do you also keep Silver Dollars and other large Cichlids with them too?
I have a little knowledge on fish keeping. I was known as the 'fish lady' a few years ago! Not due to the fact that I pong.. just because I like fish! I admit I need to brush up a little. I have been considering a big tank of my own for some time now and I love Oscars! I don't normally visit this side of the forum as I keep snakes mostly, but your Oscar thread caught me and reeled me in! Ha.. apologies for that.. corny fish related joke.. :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Do you also keep Silver Dollars and other large Cichlids with them too?
I have a little knowledge on fish keeping. I was known as the 'fish lady' a few years ago! Not due to the fact that I pong.. just because I like fish! I admit I need to brush up a little. I have been considering a big tank of my own for some time now and I love Oscars! I don't normally visit this side of the forum as I keep snakes mostly, but your Oscar thread caught me and reeled me in! Ha.. apologies for that.. corny fish related joke.. :whistling2:
all down to induvidual keepers, i've made many BIG mistakes with putting certain fish in with my oscars and had fatalities(lost a pair of oscars), silver dollars/red hooks always lived peacefully with my guys though

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the red hooks have moved in with my gourami i would not recomend keeping red hooks with oscars as the red hooks/silver dollars are very skittish fish and annoy the oscars as to other cichlids i keep a couple of jack dempseys and a texas green too but the oscars like their own space

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
lol see this is where induvidualities show up lol in all fairness in the 6 years i had them together i never honestly had a problem with the red hooks, agreed though they are skittish but in my own personal experience i didnt find a problem i may have just been lucky though

·
Registered
912 Posts
Aaaaw! Your Gourami is lovely! the Oscar we had lived happily with a couple of Firemouth and Convicts. I would love a community tank but think i'll be shopping around for a big tank for an Oscar!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
I wasn't sounding snotty there, sorry if it came across that way :) I was just saying that ours lived together. I think i'd just keep the Oscar alone. I have just found a 3ft tank on classifieds, bow fronted.. no stand though. £60. I will then have to pick my preferred Oscar colour! Oooh.. Do they have different terms/names for the different colours?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
simply stunning! what do you do with the plecs when they spawn? as mine always got hoovered up eventually lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the plecs are both believed male so no probs there and as a bonus they never fight :2thumb:

simply stunning! what do you do with the plecs when they spawn? as mine always got hoovered up eventually lol

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tank mates

what do you keep with your oscar can you keep bala sharks?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
meant the oscars spawning... with the plecs in the tank :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts