Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the world of reptile ownership, we're after a little help with a 5-6month old beardie. His usual diet of crickets doesn't seem of any interest to him at the minute. :( We gave him the luxury of baby locusts (hoppers) over Christmas, the last one he ate on Tuesday (2nd Jan).

Since then, he's turned his nose up at brown circkets, his staple diet since we got him late October. He's been offered crickets several times a day since Tuesday, but not interested. He last shed his skin mid-November, so we thought he might be grumpy & off his food because he is likely to shed quite soon. The other thought was that he's sulking due to lack of hoppers. So we gave him one this afternoon, which he ate straight away. However into the evening, we found he'd vomited it. So not sure if he's ill, or about to shed, or it was a bad locust, or any combination of these.

Any words of advice or experience would be very welcome.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
could be a few things..............have you checked the temps?? has the viv become cold for any reason???? he may be going through a cooling period........has he been getting his proper vit suplements???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temps have been fine, so no probs there.
We have been dusting the crickets with Repton, but its probably about 8 days or so since he's had any.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
what colour and watt is his basking bulb? and how close is he to it, his u.v............what % is it and how close to the bottom of the viv is it??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The basking bulb doesn't emit light - its 15cm from the floor of the viv. The UV bulb is full spectrum uv (100%?), the petshop advised its as close to natural sunlight you can get. UV bulb 25cm from the floor.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
If he's not eaten in a few day's then he could have eaten that locust too quickly and made himself sick that way! My beardie's are about 12 month's old any they are on extra large locust all the time and some time's they mealie's and phoenix worm's! I don't like crix as they can bite your beardie,the locust just go to the veg bowl and leave the dragon's alone!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
ideally, the basking bulb should be a WHITE light, normally a reflector bulb, this should make his basking area temp about 36C, and it needs to be white as baby beardies only recognise a heat light to be white. the u.v bulb should have the %age written on the bulb, near the end caps......hopfully this will be either an 8.0% or 10.0%

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
well first thing is how long have you had your UV?? They tend to need replacing every 6 mths. It should glow blue.... Breadies need the UVB to maintain an appetite!

Also its could be down to the time of year. Mines asleep and hasn't eaten in months!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
did you find the %age of it?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
spikefoz said:
the uv is 2 months old and is suposed to be a 12 month one
Wouldn't trust that! Most UV's run out after about 6 mths - you'll notice the light go from a light blue to pure white. Then it need replacing.

If its only 2 mths old though I'd suggest its just that time of year. Most keepers panic when a lizard or snake doesn't eat for a week. Believe me they can go a long time without needing food in reality.

The best bit of advice I could give is to keep an eye on the weights of your animals. If they start losing weight quickly there is something wrong

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
welshgaz said:
well first thing is how long have you had your UV?? They tend to need replacing every 6 mths. It should glow blue.... Breadies need the UVB to maintain an appetite!

Also its could be down to the time of year. Mines asleep and hasn't eaten in months!
this is true when your uv is running out you dont notice at the time but when you put a new one in you can tell the difference.....anyway is he pooing and active or not pooing or letheagic as people have said make sure temps are correct .see if anythings bothering him maybe try new different food? if there is still no improvement on the eating go to a vets also what substrate are you on??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My male bearded was doing the same for a week or so, i kept putting in his large locusts and crickets....but he kept refusing them....and going to sleep being lazy!!!!
:? :? :?

After a week of being lazy he soon came around and ate his locusts.....pure laziness!!!! lol :D :D he is active enough now!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
spikefoz said:
The basking bulb doesn't emit light - its 15cm from the floor of the viv. The UV bulb is full spectrum uv (100%?), the petshop advised its as close to natural sunlight you can get. UV bulb 25cm from the floor.

THe %age measurement on UV bulbs is infact a terrible way to measure it.. and it should be measured in uW/cm2.

For example, the repti-sun 5% puts out more UVB than the exo-terra repti-glo 8%. The bulb I would recommend for a beardie are: repti-glo 8, reptisun 5 or reptisun 10, or the arcadia d3 5.0. The tube producing the most UVB is the reptisun 10. Remember they need to be within 6 inches of your dragon or they won't even do a thing anyway.

A lack of UVB is a common cause of small appetites in dragons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine are having a similar issue, the male has started eating again now, but the smaller female has not eaten hoppers in a week and only bearly touches her veg and mealies.

She's being lethargic and pooing has decreased in quantity and regularity. UVB is 10.0 and temps are good with basking bulb being white. She's 7 months and has been fine (foodwise) for the 5 months she's been with us.

Any ideas at all guys? :?:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts