Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a pair of bearded dragons and are now fancying a snake or a pair of snakes, as ive always wanted to try breeding them.
We are after as much information as possible, whats easiest to look after, the size they grow etc etc.
We have been around a lot of local shops and am getting confused as every shop says something different, just before saying that they are the best shop, dont trust any of the others etc!!!!
We live near Middlesbrough and it would be great if anyone could recommend any breeders in the area???
Thanks
Mark.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
corns, i should be getting one soon, the easiest to breed, great variety of morphs, easy to look after very docile, definately the best.:snake:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Note that if you get a pair of snakes, even if you plan to breed them, they will have to have an enclosure each. Snakes are solitary and shouldn't be kept together.
I was just going to say exactly the same thing - there's a thread somewhere here with very graphic pics Nerys posted of the accidents that can happen when two snakes are housed together (except for breeding) - cannibalism being that one, and there's also the risk of spreading infection, mites, competing for favorite basking spots/hiding spots all adding to the general stress.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I personally would suggest a corn as a first snake. They come in a mind boggling range of morphs, have an extremely good temperement, can be handled frequently and are tolerant of beginner mistakes in husbandry.

Another choice to consider would be a royal python. Again, a great snake usually with lovely temperements. They can often cause headaches for the keeper as they can be picky feeders.. if you don't mind a challenge and clearly have experience keeping lizards, this is also a possible choice.

My first snake was a corn and I never regretted it. Viv size for both royals and corns - as adults they do fine in 3 footers.. as young snakes you can keep them in plastic tubs with heat mat and thermostat heating. Mine live in 'Really Useful' boxes from Staples. :D

G

·
i would definatly reccomend a royal....they are great snakes...dont get big and are usually dosile and tame.

easy to look after....they have a bad rep about feeding problems...
they arent problem feeders,just people have problems feeding them!

deffo go with a royal x

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
depends what you get in the kit, viv/tub, substrate, hide, water bowl,heating of some sort(probably a mat) which you'll need a stat for.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is not a bad price, I paid £20 for a baby corn(which I believe is quite cheap) and about £45/50 (can't remember exactly) for the housing and heatmat and substrate etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is my setup. I have a towel over the top to keep the heat in at the moment and I have added a thermostat, which cost £20 from Cornish Crispa Co. . Needs cleaning out now as she has just finished shedding!!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I have the same trouble keeping heat in these exo terras with the vented lids - I used a towel as well. Looking back it would have been better to use the contico tub of the same size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts