Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its no big deal lol..
Just went downstairs to do the rounds before bed as i do and our little leo is laying there in shed... looks like hes wearing an old white puffer coat or something... basically all coming away at once... honest to got 25 minutes ago he hadnt started cos that when i was last down there lol.

Anyway the ony reason i was suprised i guess is cos it seems we just got him [2 weeks ago today [wed]]
and he had just shed the day we bought him as we were watchin him eat his skin in the shop...so 2 weeks to the day..pretty cool... i guess thats about right i dunno.. prolly ought to do a shed sheed like we do with the corns come to think of it.

anyway..thats about it :)

Bye lol

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its most fun when they pull it off their faces like a mask and then pull the hand bits off like gloves :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
it looks painful too the way they just tear it off

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no dear its not painfull i wouldnt have thought as its dead loose skin thats reasy to come off.

anyway, he had as far as i can tell all finished by time i got up this morning so didnt get to see any skin eating :(

he will be out more tonight so ill have a good look at his toes etc.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
it unattaches itself from the body, so its really loose and painless to remove. i think that chameleons look the most irritated when they are shedding their skin.

·
Registered
201 Posts
my partners gecko has only shed once in the 6 months we have had her. she looks healthy . should i be worried

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
depends on the age of them, once they get closer to adulthood they stop doing it as often. not sure how long ago my gecko shed but it was some time ago.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as blazey said it depends on the age of the animla [and directly related to the rate it is growing]

Our beardies from the age of 3 months to 7 months old shed about once every 2 weeks..it seeemed they were always at some stage of shedding [take a bit longer than leos to do so but nowhere near as long as boscs, atleast ours seems to just do a bit hear and there]

After that time, in the past 5 months i think they have only shed twice if that... they matured very quickly and are basically full size, as they were by 7 months basically... which isnt absoluterly normal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i dont know how old she is but she is adult size. she seems happy enough and i spray her with vitamin spray, i dont know much about her history before i got her

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as an adult they prolly dont shed often atall.. maybe even only yearly to get fresher skin if the growing has completely finished.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
DEANandTRESE said:
as blazey said it depends on the age of the animla [and directly related to the rate it is growing]

Our beardies from the age of 3 months to 7 months old shed about once every 2 weeks..it seeemed they were always at some stage of shedding [take a bit longer than leos to do so but nowhere near as long as boscs, atleast ours seems to just do a bit hear and there]

After that time, in the past 5 months i think they have only shed twice if that... they matured very quickly and are basically full size, as they were by 7 months basically... which isnt absoluterly normal.
i said this to the vet about don and she said it sounded weird, she has no past experience with boscs, so she's obviously just learnt shedding generally should be done all at once. But don hasnt done it this way for quite some time now, though he does shed everything eventually. Glad its not just Don who does it bit by bit :p

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
having said the above, savvy as of yesterday had a noticable amount of shedding skin around her sides which seem to be off now.. although she is being a bit moody today which she hasnt been the past couple weeks atall so i think she might be about to go into full shed.. its just a theory, itll be her first in a long while if its the case and id put it down to her going up to 2 small mice plus crix a feed instead of just the one ofcourse... will have to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My leo is about 3½ years old and he still sheds regularly - about every 5 weeks give or take. Could it be that your Gecko is shedding at night and you wouldn't know? - some apparently hide it well (mine's a loon and always happy to do it out in the open) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts