Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
whats better at heating a rack, cable or mats? i know cable would probably keep energy costs down due to less plugs. can you get cheaper garden/green house heat cable that works just as good?

do you use your own router aswell?
Routers are normally between £30-60, and yeah you have to use one, especially if you're making it lidless.

I think Bothrops (mod on here) used a garden heat cable, and it worked just as well.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
whats better at heating a rack, cable or mats? i know cable would probably keep energy costs down due to less plugs. can you get cheaper garden/green house heat cable that works just as good?

do you use your own router aswell?
I used forttex heat cable, very cheap at 10m for £18.
Heat Cable 10m - £18.00 : Forttex

Chris, if you need a router and dont have one, drop me a line. I'll have Tracy bring mine into work for you.

Reactions: splimmy

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cracking job!:2thumb:

Would the shelves take the weight of a 3ft viv higher up?
Hi

They could possibly take the weight. Guess it depends how heavy they are. I would recommend screwing the shelves fully in place through the sides to give extra strength to the shelf :2thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have just built my own rack using this IKEA Pax wardrobe but the single one. It's amazing compared to the one I was using.

For the 200x58x50 pax frame and 8 shelves cost £73.00 in total.

·
Registered
896 Posts
when puting the shelves on the ikea rack did you have to screw them in or do they have dowles in them ???

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just built the exact same rack for 33 ltr rubs also, but wanted to go lidless for quicker maintenance as we already have 2 IKEA racks with lids.

The standard Pax IKEA shelves are 100mm to short depth wise so i went to a timber company and we have ordered to size half a dozen shelves for a little more than the ikea shelves would have cost me.

We are using heat mats and 1 stat per 2 shelves, having to keep an eye on the temperatures as they have fluctuated in the past so i would be a little reluctant to use 1 heat cable to cover the whole rack personally.

Obviously using separate heat mats and several stats will start to ramp up the cost of the build.

Will be changing to pulse proportional stats in the future as i understand they will reduce the temperature fluctuations.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
This is exactly what i am after for when my shed conversion is done :2thumb:. Somebody did link to this thread in my thread asking about the Ikea wardrobes as racks :2thumb:. Looking at this it is a very good buy as you can adapt it to what RUBs you want, so can have a mix of hatchling RUBs & adult RUBs in one unit :no1:. Shed will hopefully be finished in a week or two so can go shopping for a rack :2thumb:. Thank you for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
This is exactly what i am after for when my shed conversion is done :2thumb:. Somebody did link to this thread in my thread asking about the Ikea wardrobes as racks :2thumb:. Looking at this it is a very good buy as you can adapt it to what RUBs you want, so can have a mix of hatchling RUBs & adult RUBs in one unit :no1:. Shed will hopefully be finished in a week or two so can go shopping for a rack :2thumb:. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Please post pics once yours is all finished! :2thumb:

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Please post pics once yours is all finished! :2thumb:
I have started a thread in the Habitat pics section of the progress so far. It has to be done when i'm not working/busy & my Dad can come down to do it so it will take a bit longer than it probably would normally take if it was done in straight days (will update tomorrow of any work that's been done as my Dad's down tomorrow). Should be done in the next few weeks though (well i hope so as got some new Royals reserved & need extra space). So once shed is finished & new racks in i will post up pics.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I have started a thread in the Habitat pics section of the progress so far. It has to be done when i'm not working/busy & my Dad can come down to do it so it will take a bit longer than it probably would normally take if it was done in straight days (will update tomorrow of any work that's been done as my Dad's down tomorrow). Should be done in the next few weeks though (well i hope so as got some new Royals reserved & need extra space). So once shed is finished & new racks in i will post up pics.
I keep forgetting about the habitat section :blush:

Off to look now :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Have completed all 4 racks now and they are looking fab. Total cost inc stats and 150 watt cable for each was about £600 which seems a lot but these house 70+ snakes and makes maintenance so much easier. I am now the proud owenr of a whole wall of racks :2thumb:

Ill get pics up when ive got a min

Cheers for all your comments guys

Alan

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Have completed all 4 racks now and they are looking fab. Total cost inc stats and 150 watt cable for each was about £600 which seems a lot but these house 70+ snakes and makes maintenance so much easier. I am now the proud owenr of a whole wall of racks :2thumb:

Ill get pics up when ive got a min

Cheers for all your comments guys

Alan

Can i ask the height of the rack that has 10 shelves on please(to hold 20 x 33L RUBs)? Need to know if it's the smaller or taller one :whistling2:. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Hi. They ate 210cm tall :)
201cm or 236cm? I take it you meant the 201cm, if so then this is ideal for what i want (could probably go with the 236cm but i'm a short arse so wouldn't reach the top shelves :whistling2:).

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
201cm or 236cm? I take it you meant the 201cm, if so then this is ideal for what i want (could probably go with the 236cm but i'm a short arse so wouldn't reach the top shelves :whistling2:).
I ordered one that was too tall by 3" for my room. What a tool lol. I just cut about 5 inches off easy peasy

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi

Yeah sorry I meant 201cm lol :)

21 - 40 of 153 Posts