Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering putting my musks outside but need advice first...

Setup is not an issue other than a few questions about security... from nature!

they are not adults yet so would it be safe?

I have a fibreglass pond that is staged so can put plenty of ramps for them to surface... add a heater and filter etc and away to go...

This a good idea or not???

·
Super Moderator
16,922 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it! I don't think you'd ever really see them in a pond. Yes, they would benefit from the sun etc, but if you were to do it, as they are not adults, a large plastic tub with resting areas, plants etc may be better. You would then be able to have a wire mesh top to it.

If you do put them outside, it won't be until at least May when it has warmed up. I don't know if anyone on here overwinters Musks - not heard anything on this. Romski or Graham, hopefully, will know about this one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
hibernating musks

I have done it (in a greenhouse) successfully, as they are a hibernating species.
Outside however, the issues are not hibernation, but visibility. Unless the pond is bare, you will never see them, and have no idea whether they are thriving or not. It the pond is bare, predators will also see them (herons etc), so it will need to be well meshed (above the surface!)

Why keep musks if you cannot enjoy their company?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It's the issue of them disappearing that would stop me from doing it too! I do intend to try some outdoor setups for them this year and see how it goes, they will be shallow so hopefully I'll get to see them if I can keep the water clear enough.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was thinking of a pond in one of the tunnels we have, but I want to see them otherwise there would be no point having them

This is why I asked first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.