Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not really so much of a question this one,
Just wondering if anyone else's water dragons go mad scratchin the glass every time u look at them or move :rotfl:

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
My water dragons are like statues.. you can only tell they're alive because their eyes follow your movement. Only time I see them move is to pounce on a locust, or make their way from the branch down to the water, or back up again. They were a lot more active when they were younger though.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea its probable coz his just a baby
makes me bloody jump some times when he launches him self at the front from his tree :lol2:

·
Registered
608 Posts
LOL Karl ... mine are still nutters and they are adults! ..... they belly flop into their water from a great height, swim a little -then run around like loonies - then dig in the soil for a little while, get all dirty and then back in the water again lol .... They also dig at the glass, as if to try and dig it away and it looks soooooo funny, as if they are waving at ya :lol2:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Its normal behaviour for Chinese Water Dragons and Basilisks - they are generouly nervous. If you haven't already make sure you have a strip of colour across the bottom couple of inches of glass so that they know there is a barrier there - otherwise they will get rostral abrasions from rubbing their snout on the glass (they can't work out the glass is there).

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Karl ... mine are still nutters and they are adults! ..... they belly flop into their water from a great height, swim a little -then run around like loonies - then dig in the soil for a little while, get all dirty and then back in the water again lol .... They also dig at the glass, as if to try and dig it away and it looks soooooo funny, as if they are waving at ya :lol2:
HaHa you got it spot on there the belly flops too!!!
the 1st time i saw him doin his little leaps of faith i was like OmG!:shock:
I let him out for the 1st time today and boy can he run lol like a little green misile,
after chasing him around tryin 2 catch him for about 10 mins i realised he was quite happy just jumpin back on my arm needless to say my heart was pounding a bit tho haha:roll2:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Aaaawwww bless :smile: ..... As well as very interesting, I find it quite amusing to watch and study my Water Dragons. They truly are wonderful creatures and I love 'em to bits!!!

When u let him out and he got away from you so fast, did he run on his hind legs? I have one that does it very dignified and masculine with BIG heavy footsteps and the other is off like a bolt of lightning on his hind legs with his tail held high in the air as if someone had stuck a stick up his a**e lol I will try and get that on video sometime, you will be falling off your chair it is that funny lol

Oh one thing I forgot to mention ..... don't EVER chase him. If you are worried about where he is headed ALWAYS try and stay either beside him or in front of him - NEVER behind. If you want to pick him up, do it from the front angle, not the back let him see your hand coming towards him, rather than feel a jolt as you grab him. Water Dragons drop their tail as a kind of defence mechanism in the wild. For instance, if a predator was chasing him and grabbed his tail, he would drop the tail in order to get away from them. It is the same in captivity. If the Water Dragon feels threatened, or that it is being chased, it will drop it's tail. The tail does grow back eventually, but the last thing you want is to one day find your WD has half (or more) of it's tail missing.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rotfl:Yea when he runs its stright up onto the back legs,
It just come's out of no where lol.
When i had him out and he darted off i was worried about him findin a gap i couldnt get in.
But just befor i did put him back i found if i just stood still when he ran he wouldnt go too far.
Ill let him out again tomoro but try to let him have more of a roam around rather than me panic and put him back:roll2:
When i do ill try 2 just let him climb up on me insted of "catching" him when i put him back :2thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts