Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that I couldn't overdose on the nutrobal, is this true?
Is it better to dust calcium instead of leaving it in a dish for the Leos?
Sorry for all the questions! :?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
you can over dose on nutrobal.
just use it as directed, i belive on about one 5th of his meals.. so maybe once a week? more if they are very young...?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
im talking about nutrobal not calcium

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi Dave

Not sure if it was me that told you that, but yes you can overdose on nutrobal, thats why I recomend dusting with that only twice a week.

I dust with calcium twice a week, and leave a small bowl in the viv.

If it was indeed myself who told you the above, please accept my apologies for mis leading you :oops:

·
Registered
191 Posts
What my vet told me (except the bit about chocolate)

Calcium every meal.
Nutrobal twice a week.
I personally dust the food with it.
Would not put nutrobal in a dish for them. Calcium will be fine. If they don't need it they won't eat it. It works the same way as girls & chocolate :?

·
Registered
336 Posts
How about for a BD - I only have Nutrabol, which I was told to use every other day. I was not sold a separate calcium powder.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Oh flower, sounds like your shop missed out on taking some more of your hard earned cash !! :twisted:

With leos, you can dust everyday with calcium, but not vits. I dont by choice, and cos I use so many feeder insects.

Not so sure about bds, I have one right now, and I do the same as the leos, twice a week for each and a bowl of calcium for when he wants it.

I know with leos, as they are nocternal, they do not process the uvb via skin cells to 'do something' with vit d3, so a good balanced vit intake is a must, otherwise they can not use the calcium, but not 100% sure on how it works with bds.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We have just got a BD.
Same for her as for my agamas:
calcium dust on her food every day. :)
Nutrobal dusted on food twice a week. :)
Feed prey on calcium & vitamin gutloading foods (e.g. JurassiDiet). :)
BDs are desert lizards. They also like to eat greens, which agamas don't.
Don't give spinach or iceberg lettuce (they block the uptake of Calcium) :(
Calcium prevents the biggest fatal disease of any lizard: if they don't get it their bones don't form properly & they die as a result. :cry:
If they have too much calcium, they just poo it out in the urate portion of their poo (that's why it will often look chalky). :?
Hope this helps. My vet told me these things & she's never let me down so far.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
do your beardies take the calcium from the dish then? have only heard the method being used with geckos myself.

you can overdose on calcium guys, if ur feeding your beardie a good diet then puttin calcium on every meal is not only uneccesary but also dangerous, especially if ur only using UV tubes for example, they wont have enough to turn it all into D3 and it will build up and possibly become fatal.

Dusting half there food [as in half what they actually consume to be dusted] with calcium [with d3 where possible] 5 days a week and nutrobal the other 2 days will be plenty without any real risk of overdose, which you honestly can do.

Dean

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i've been keeping quiet on this as sooo many people have different opinions but if you lot were to do a little research you would see like dean just said you can also overdose on calcium, talking to my rep vet (who also advises and is vet to edinburgh zoos reps) if a good diet is given then pure calcium (not one with d3 in) should be sprinkled on food twice weekly, and just a small amount of d3 which helps rep synthesize calcium weekly, give to much d3 and this will allow to much calcium to be absorbed, most places now sell vits for specific reps but if your diet is good and varied and the food items themselves are gutloaded with nutricious stuff then your rep should be getting all the vits they need from there food..... :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ta for coming in Nicky. I was not aware that they could process Ca in excess of requirements. I was told (by a vet) that they just poo it out. I have been getting advice for juvies that tells me better too little than too much Ca.
Dean sounds to have a sensible regime there, is it the same across the board or do juvies need more of anything?

Yeah, Dean, she's tiny (3" STV) but I wouldn't put a bowl of any powder in any viv unless I was strictly told to do so by me vet. I only said about putting it in with leos cos that's what they say you should do. I know next to nothing about 'em though. All my babies are Agamids.
I DO dust every batch of crix (Ca every day except the 2 days I dust with Nutrobal). Hoppers I don't dust. All prey gets gutloading & oxalate free feeding (as far as I am aware).
Also, BDs & strawberries, ok or not?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
apparently strawberries and rasperries and blueberries are great treats for beardies...ours wont touch them though...i dont think they like treats...may be a bit health concious im not sure. :)

Juvis need more calcium than adults i believe, of all species, including Kittens [we just got 2 actually lol]
I was kinda like "oh no, how will i know when to reduce supplementation?" but its kinda came naturally as they have started eating less often and started not liking there food dusted everyday etc.. they have kinda dictated when they will eat what and i think, atleast in goldie and dragos case its working well and they are very healthy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
:D Cool, cheers for that, mate.
Hubby went out to buy locusts @ weekend & came home with a BD as well! It (possibly she) is 3mths old, gorgeous & called Smaug (after the dragon in Hobbit, he says). She has awesome markings on her belly as well as her back. Will she lose 'em as she gets older?
Since berries are ok I will bung her some tonight. Don't want a fussy eater: trying to start as I mean to go on! :? Said that about the kid though & he's Jamie Oliver's worst nightmare!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
haha yeh, be careful they dont get to berry thirsty though, ours really like peas and if they wer allowed would just eat peas and no leafy greens atall.

markings seem to change willy nilly to be honest, i reckon url notice a lot of change from day to day mood and warmth dependent and then wil kinda tapour off and stay rather static once he or she gets older.
good lighing, normal white light and uv will bring out the best of the beardies colours and patternings, altho just of note, under belly patterning seems to appear more when the beardie is not in such a great mood or warm..dunno why.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts