Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:oops: as a new owner of a corn snake I have made a miss calculation in feeding my adult corn snake I now know that you are only supposed to feed him once a week and not twice! does anyone know how to get his weight back down?

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
how over weight is he, and pics would be helpful,

to start with reduce his food size by one size (eg if ya feed large reduce to medium), also, ya need to start an exercise program for your snake, start with giving your snake a bath evry 10 days, allow snake to swim around in the water,

Only thing is dont expect miracles, it can be a length process.

i currently have a very overweight snake and this is the advice i have been given.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
letting him climb the stairs is great for toning a fatty snake :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Move him down a food size (eg. from adult mice down to medium mice) and feed once every 10 days. It's important to keep giving him regular feeds to keep his metabolism going.

Make sure his temps are ok - around 86F at the warm end.

Maybe put a branch or something else that he can climb on in the viv, if you haven't already.

And, as already said, get him excercising - swimming is good for them but some hate it. Regular handling sessions will help, handle for as long as he's ok with a few times a week.

It would also be a good idea to monitor his weight - digital kitchen scale that weigh in 1g increments are good, Argos do them for about £20.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
i put overweight snakes on one of two schedules

1) they're fed every 10days -3 weeks though do it gradually not an instant cut.

2) again introduce gradually but a feed when they look for it as a lot of mine pace the vivs nose to glass when they WANT food and i've always used this method with all my snakes and not one has ever been underweight.

Swimming in a shallow bath is also great exercise for them but obviously supervise them all the time they're in water.

Rachel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts