Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i went to my local petstore yesterday to buy a tub of mealworms and tub of crickets, They had some new arrival amphibians
i was really interested in picking one up since my parents didnt mind but didnt have time to decide so i will be going tomorrow to pick up, im interestead in Pacman frogs and red eyeds, what do you guys recommend-
This is my first time keeping pet frogs (except for the wild ones grew up in my tank and released to the pond lol), Im pretty sure i can take care of either any of them 2 recently i just cant decide really!

Either 1 Pacman (ornate) or 2 Sub Adult red eyeds

What would you guys choose?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I would go for the pacman and red eyes require alot of research into how to keeping them as they are very delicate.

Pacmans are cool as well! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for pacman caresheet, however i think ill choose a pacman since i dont think i have space for a large tall fat red eyeds terrarium..:whistling2:
Oh and with a pacman my mum will never get into my room with that beast in there lol

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Thanks for pacman caresheet, however i think ill choose a pacman since i dont think i have space for a large tall fat red eyeds terrarium..:whistling2:
Oh and with a pacman my mum will never get into my room with that beast in there lol
Best choice. As these are your first frogs red eyes would be far too delicate.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
it is not just that they are delicate, it is more that you want to pck them up this week and dont already have the tank done...the tank has to be spot on first...but dont rule them out, once you have experience with temps and humidity and gain a little knowledge on planted tanks (cause they prefer them) and the species, they are very rewarding...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is not just that they are delicate, it is more that you want to pck them up this week and dont already have the tank done...the tank has to be spot on first...but dont rule them out, once you have experience with temps and humidity and gain a little knowledge on planted tanks (cause they prefer them) and the species, they are very rewarding...
True... I have picked up a young fantasy pacman this morning, set up his tub (temporarily) its just basically deep eco earth soil and a freshwater bowl, gender unknown so it would be pretty difficult to find a name for it :p
Starting feeding really well at adult crickets, anyone has any idea if pinkies are good for pacmans? :/

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
True... I have picked up a young fantasy pacman this morning, set up his tub (temporarily) its just basically deep eco earth soil and a freshwater bowl, gender unknown so it would be pretty difficult to find a name for it :p
Starting feeding really well at adult crickets, anyone has any idea if pinkies are good for pacmans? :/
Crickets and locusts are a perfect diet for your pacman. Pinkies or fuzzies (depending on the size of the frog) should only be offered once every 2 weeks/a month as a treat, as they can become addicted to them and possibly become unhealthy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have been keeping pacmans for 11 years and totally back up what manda88 says. Its like taking your kids to Mcdoanlds or any other fast food, its nice treat for them, but u wudnt feed them exclusively on fast food. Amphibians and to a lesser degree reptiles find it really difficult to process mammalian fat and the milk in mice pups. Furthermore they cant burn it off like mammals it just stores in fat, even my Ambystoma salamanders which fairly active for amphibians find it difficult to shed excess weight, so imagine what its like for a pacman who hardly moves. Build of fat in frogs causes many probelms but the most common is the build up of lipids in the eyes, which causes blindness which is devasting to a predatory amphibian which relies on its prey moving around infront of it! You must consider that pacman frogs come from either the floor of tropical rainforest or a marsh, where most animals it will meet are small herps or large inverts, so therefore mice are not really in their natural diet, infact several the of the species only feed on other frogs, hence why they havent been properly established in captivity!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts