Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an adult pair of Box turtles (Terrapene carolina) for sale. They are wild caught (long time ago) and live in a garden pen with covered area and pond. Only coming in to a conservatory at night and to hibernate. They are not suitable for vivarium life as they have been outside all their lives.
Lay eggs every year.

Will only sell to knowledgeable person with suitable outdoor area.

Further questions will be answered by PM or email at [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Interesting not for vivarium life..you should see the blood tests we have accumulated over the years for chelonia kept outdoors in the UK, especially regarding calcium, phosph, calcitriol, PTH.

Surely they could suit a well prepared very large indoor vivarium?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N/A box turtles

I am pretty sure that unhealthy tortoise bloods you mention are more to do with poor diet and low temps in Testudo species. Terrepene are suited to UK climate as it is fairly close to the weather in parts of their range in the US. Only a little extra heat needs to be provided by way of a cold frame. I am not against keeping torts indoors (I do it). It is these particular two that aren't suitable to vivarium life. A large indoor enclosure maybe suitable ie not a vivarium. As stated they are wild caught and have been outdoors all their lives and I don't want them to be kept in a vivarium.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No, they are not, they are generally due to very longterm renal toxicity and subsequent renal failure due to ongoing high levels of PTH due to the low uv index and overall quantity of uvb in this country compared to other regions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Box turtles

I cannot agree that UV lams are better than the sun. Even the sun in England.
The range of this species goes as far North as Maine, US. so does compare well the UK climate.
In Mexico turtles will not be out in full sun as the temps would be too high so they become crepuscular. Thus having limited exposure to UV.
It is the high activity levels these two show that makes me want to make sure they are not confined in a vivarium. They are perfectly healthy. The female lays 6-7 perfectly shelled eggs every year (some times 2 clutches) so I know her calcium levels are not low.
Thanks for your comments but please keep this thread clear for my sale. Maybe you should start a discussion on Forum. I'll comment there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts