Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Water Dragon Tuo (pronounced Ta whoa) and he seems to be doing a panting type breathing. He sits under his Basking lamp and does some open mouth breathing. Is this normal? Why does he do it? I have a vet appointment for Monday (two days from now) and I will mention it then but I was wondering if I should worry? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Panting? Is he/she just sat with their mouth open in a gaping fashion, or can you see that either their mouth is opening and closing in a panting fashion, or that their breathing is irregular?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuo just sat there with his/her mouth open and no real labored breathing that I could tell. It just looked odd and I thought he was over heated since he was so close to the basking lamp but the thermometer read not quite 90 degrees Fareinheight.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Its not uncommon for several species to sit under a basking lamp with a gaping expression - he/she is probably just cooling down.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Tuo just sat there with his/her mouth open and no real labored breathing that I could tell. It just looked odd and I thought he was over heated since he was so close to the basking lamp but the thermometer read not quite 90 degrees Fareinheight.
mine does the same at about 90 degrees in his baskin spot its just coolin like crocks do when they bask.
Was worth askin though i posted a pic just coz mine laid flat haha:D

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
definately sounds like panting :)
best thing to do is either lower wattage of bulb or put the sensor/thermostat much nearer the basking bulb :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
sounds just like he cooling down much the same as beardies do when they are basking

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah its daft really that they sit next to the heat and cool down lol but loads of lizards do this. i wouldn't worry to much. as long as tuo can get away from the heat he'll be fine
nice name btw :smile:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
definately sounds like panting :)
best thing to do is either lower wattage of bulb or put the sensor/thermostat much nearer the basking bulb :)
noooooooo
if they are gaping but staying in the bask its because they like the heat but still wana regualte thier temp... if they didnt like it they would move away.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
noooooooo
if they are gaping but staying in the bask its because they like the heat but still wana regualte thier temp... if they didnt like it they would move away.
you can speak to me like a adult...not your juvenile drivel..
they gape when hot...its like them sweating...would you stay in the warmer heat if it happened to yourself,i didn't think so
lights if unregulated can get unbearingly hot...much hotter than they are used to..and how are they supposed to move away from something thats uncomfortable even the cooler areas
my waterdragons hardly gaped and both have bred many times with their new owners and one i raised from a barely active hatchling to a 3.5ft adult..must have been doing something right *shrugs*

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
tend to agree with rankindude..

a lot of reptiles are notoriously stupid and will sit in the heat until they get heat exhaustion...if it is that hot that they are gaping then their body has way surpassed optimum temperature and they really should move away.

if any of my reps began gaping a lot in the heat i also would change the wattage of the bulb or look at my thermostat...

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
well your out numbered... :)

I dont think the author said the dragon stays in the hot end constantly, nor did he say he is gaping when anywhere other than the basking area, so i would have thought it, the well documented "i like it here but im lettin out some heat"

A lower wattage bulb could be an idea.. however the dragon could move 3 inches away... likewise with a lower bulb he may go more directly under it and do the same.. It is normal in moderation.

We will see what the vet says i guess.

And rankindude, I dont think i spoke to you like a..sorry what was it...?.. my juvenile drivel?

As said loads of times by loads of members, got a problem, take it to the Pm... i might reply but as it stands i dont think you are ATALL worth it.

Reactions: Burmese Man

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
my mind has been working over time on this one:hmm:
i can see both side of argument and its bugging me. none of mine have ever done this but ive seen loads of others doing it uhmmmmmmm
does anybody elses do this? if so how long have you had it and how long has it being doing it for?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
my mind has been working over time on this one:hmm:
i can see both side of argument and its bugging me. none of mine have ever done this but ive seen loads of others doing it uhmmmmmmm
does anybody elses do this? if so how long have you had it and how long has it being doing it for?
Well a famous herpetologist once told me (I hear you laugh, but I'm not joking) that they gape because they have appropriate heat in their heads, whilst the rest of the body isnt warm enough yet. Probably as a result of their heads beind several inches closer to the heat bulb than the rest of the body. They are stupid, yes, hence why they dont turn their head away from the heat, and move their backs closer. Being the dummies they are, they just open their mouths to expel some of the heat instead. I have 4 collareds, all rigged to the same thermostat, all have the exact same environment and temperature. Only the little one gapes. It seems she isnt as clever as the other 3, or just more lazy. When she's done gaping she carries on with her running around maniac stylee. She's stupid, but not stupid enough to cook herself alive, and personally I wouldnt turn the temperatures down because I know they're perfect as they are.

EDIT: BTW it wasnt the only reason he gave me, but it was a significant thought when you consider that they are kept in captivity and gain their heat from a bulb that is a lot hotter at a distance of say 6 inches to what it is at 8 inches.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
i got bad ratings from this...seems one or 2 are a little spineless to PM me so have to downrate..have to say i didn't think i was so popular really
i gave out what i did and because its not in any books its wrong....Lizards have cooked themselves under their heatlamps due to overheating/dehydration and if the cool area is reaching upto a dangerous temperature how are they going to escape..yes lizards seek shade in the wild but i wouldn't call a box with a bit of sand with a rock in it natural compared to the areas of mexico/africa/austrailia,asia depending on lizard where they are huge shaded areas would you and if your lizard is opening its mouth you put down the temperatures..its simple as that...would you keep your dog in a hot car if its panting?
i have only witnessed panting twice with a bearded dragon and a rankins dragon where their heatbulb was a bit hot and it affected the temperatures so after putting in lower wattage bulbs i haven't had a panting animal since...my animals ate and were healthy so why did i have to change and let my lizards pant uncomfortably with me hoping itll be able to cool itself down?
the reason i said juvenile drivel is NOOOOOO is not what id associate with an adult discussion when i only tried to help the person..its kind of childish really and i am perfectly capable of reading his reply without that and he could have put his point across with a simple 'no' and it made sense with him saying 'don't attack me you fool'...had to laugh
i won't hold my breath in getting the PMs lol

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
When mine has had its mouth open it hasnt been for very long and not long after he jump's to the bottom and sit's in the shade.
i guess he had some idea of what to do but i can see how some would just sit there.
i think maybe you should just drop your wattage to be on the safe side its only gonna cost like 3 pound lol:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice. We went to the vet today and he says Tuo is rather healthy and just make sure he is eating. Surprisingly Tuo didn't fight too much when I put his harness on and he got LOTS of attention at the vet's office! There was a greyhound there and I think she wanted to eat him but he just climbed on my shoulder and looked at her like "You have got to be out of you tiny little mind if you think I am a snack!" It was too funny! Now I just need to figure out how to post his pic and you can see how gorgeous my new baby is!:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also moved his basking branch farther from the bulb and he has not panted since. The vet said 90 degrees is about right and since he has used his bathing dish/water bowl I am tempted to think he just didn't want to move at that time. He has been in his water dish quite a bit lately since he is undergoing a major shed and everything seems fine. Oh! FYI for those who want to know Tuo is Chinese for "Large water lizard" I figured since I wasn't sure if it was a male or female I would choose a gender neutral name and Tuo stuck. I do wonder why Tuo has such a bright red throat but for now I just take it as a juvenile trait that may or may not be there when he/she grows up. It is rather interesting though.: victory:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts