Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just been giving my cresties their weekly weighing when I noticed one looked like this. There are dark/light patches on her head which I have not seen before. Normally the colour is consistent. I'm racking my brains and the only think I can remember seeing like this is impaction, but I fail at search and can't find other photos to compare. Any thoughts?

Her tank has reptile carpet so no impaction risk there. Hasn't been kept on loose substrate since I got her around end of July. Diet is CGD and crickets which I buy at medium size. She is at 41g unchanged since last week, and is around 9 months old based on info I have. She has been kept with another female so I can't tell who is pooing and is as active as ever.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Im not a crestie owner, but i have seen a couple threads like this.
And im sorry to say but the outcome isnt normally a very good one.
People have posted pic's like that, then either hours or few days later they have found them dead :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
There was an impaction photo on here not that long ago. A few weeks maybe? The gecko on that certainly had far more pronounced whitening on its skin and it had never been kept on loose substrate. I think it was possibly a cricket that had impacted it but I could be wrong.

I'd say the only thing to do would be get a vet to take a look at it, unless somebody with more experience than I do can cast some light on it.

It's not going patchy before shedding is it? I've only ever seen mine once most of the shed is off so not entirely sure on that one.

Hope the wee one is ok, dude

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had another look at her... and now there's no sign of the patches! I even moved her under the same light as before in case different lights show up differently.

I don't know if they go patchy pre-shed or not. Or could it be firing up? I just realised I don't think I've seen her change colour before.

I think I will keep a closer eye on her.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There was an impaction photo on here not that long ago. A few weeks maybe? The gecko on that certainly had far more pronounced whitening on its skin and it had never been kept on loose substrate. I think it was possibly a cricket that had impacted it but I could be wrong.

I'd say the only thing to do would be get a vet to take a look at it, unless somebody with more experience than I do can cast some light on it.

It's not going patchy before shedding is it? I've only ever seen mine once most of the shed is off so not entirely sure on that one.

Hope the wee one is ok, dude
I have posted several times with impaction photos... On 3 different geckos infact... Within the last few weeks :( I think the little one you are talking about was mine. Red bicolour baby? It was impacted due to a cricket.

I am sorry to say to the OP that to me, this does look like impaction. I may be wrong, but having experienced it 3 times over now, it does look like it, as it is something I have unfortunately become rather familiar with.

What substrate is this one on? I know it looks relatively grown on, but I don't believe its ALWAYS just the little ones who can be affected by their own substrate.

Also, have you fed any live food lately? It could be that it has maybe eaten something that is too big. I don't mean to sound patronizing, but my 3rd case of impaction actually turned out that the little one had eaten something that was the teeny tiniest bit too big for it to manage, and it couldnt digest it all properly, therefore became impacted, as they do if substrate is swallowed.

It may pass, but then please don't dwell on that. Some geckos pick up from it, others don't. Like I say, I have lost 3, 2 for substrate impaction, 1 from live feed impaction. The third little one looked like it was picking up, but then he passed. :( It really is true when an above poster has stated, within a few hours or days they can be dead. I noticed one of mine and it was dead within about 2-3 hours.

Do you have any more photos of the gecko in question, would give people on here a better idea as to what is going on with him/her? Would allow us to see if the markings have got any better or any worse?

If you do not wish to post a photo, but you know yourself the markings have got worse, take the gecko to a vet ASAP, but you will know this already, therefore I do not mean to sound patronizing.

I'm not trying to be mean at all with any of my comments, I just know a bit about impaction from experience, and didn't want to miss any little bits of information out that you probably should know.

Please keep us all updated on how things are, and believe me, I do know exactly how you feel...

All the best for you and your crestie x

EDIT: Have just noticed the OP most recent post. *sigh* I'm an idiot. :banghead: Hopefully the marks do not reappear, it could be she has already managed to pass whatever was bothering her. :)

Hope all is ok from now on! :D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was most recently your thread, amongst others before it, that make me worry when I saw the patchy look. But it definitely isn't visible any more. I just had another look, and the patches remain gone. I'm still curious what that might have been, especially if there are any other known causes for that? For now I can only hope whatever it is, it doesn't return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts