Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently ive been promoted at work and im thinking of getting myself a nice bird to be my companion i was thinking either a black headed caique, senegal or green cheek conure. Ive had green cheeks before so I know all involved whats the pros and cons of the other species.

Also ive been looking at birdline i was a member a few years back and never got anywhere so i was wondering if anyone has expirence with them as i may take up fostering them.

I would be most grateful for any help :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Birdline

I would love to see the reponses to this as I looked into Birdline when we were first looking at getting a parrot, and we were very strongly considering applying when I was put of but a local breeder.
She had sold a parrot a few years ago to someone locally and it was chipped and rung but escaped one day. It was picked up by Birdline but there was no attempt to return it to its original owner, even though it was reported lost. The person that then rehomed it took it to a vet who then informed them that it was a missing bird and it eventually went back to its original owner.
It may have been the breeder trying to put me off buying an older bird rather than one of her young chicks, so someone (hopefully) might come on here and correct me, but it was enough to make us think we would just buy an older bird that needed a home instead. As said, I don't know how true it is but if they were checking the birds over through a vet then I assume it would have been picked up sooner. I would love for someone to come on and say good things about Birdline as we have a spare cage and it would be lovely to be able to foster a bird until it goes to the right home.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i was very close to rehomeing a bird from them did the relevant paper work jumped through nurmerous hoops and then got told i have to wait for home check that was 4 years ago. I understand its ran by volenteers and they must be over streched but it really put me off them from the age of 13 - 17 i was member and never recived so much as an email to say thankyou for your donation. Its a dam shame its ran like that as i have friends who have been put off by them aswell. But I am in no doubt their maticulus with serch out decent homes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I was told recently that PDD had killed a few birds within the care of Birdline.........and that there has been a lot of fall out within the organisation of it all.

When you say you want a companion bird - what exactly do you mean?
Do you want a bird that will go round with you or simply be a tame pet for when your at home?

One thing to remember is when deciding on sharing your life with a parrot is how long they live as its a life long commitment due to their often lengthy life span. Many will pair up & bond for life with their chosen partner & this will be you, the human mate. You probably already know this, but always worth mentioning for others who are not so parrot savvy :2thumb:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wont be short of attention its a compaion im looking for really I would be its number one carer. But i would do my upmost to not make it become a one person bird as thats in my opioion one of the main reasons so many parrots get rehomed.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It wont be short of attention its a compaion im looking for really I would be its number one carer. But i would do my upmost to not make it become a one person bird as thats in my opioion one of the main reasons so many parrots get rehomed.

and probably one of the hardest things to control as many parrots by nature pair bond..........

Hope you find the right parrot for you. Maybe worth talking direct with people who keep the brids you have short listed & perhaps going to spend time with them to see what they are truly like. As with most animals you can research stuff till your blue in the face, but nothing compares with actual hands on interaction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts