Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My new corn has shed for the first time today. She only seems to have managed to shed the top part of her body.. the lower part is still attached. (I don't mean the tail end by the way, I mean the lower half the full length of her body). Her head seems to have shed ok.

She has a branch to rub against and a hollow rough log as a hide, so she should be able to get it off fairly easily.

I've soaked her in warm water for a few mins in the hope that it would soften her skin a bit and put her back in the Viv to chill (she's not a fan of the water!).

Can you please offer any help or advice cos im a bit worried and not sure what the next step is.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
you could try putting in some damp material ( sphagnum moss would be best ) , tho ya may not have that so maybe improvise ? some ppl put there snake in a damp pillow case and leave for a bit .

Take care

G

·
I would use the damp pillow case or raise the humidity in the viv for a whle.Take a pillow case and then drop in some warm water then wring it out best you can.Put the snake in it for a few hours or over night in the viv.Alternatively take a spray bottle and spray the viv a bit to creat a mist on the glass(do not saturate it as this can lead to problems) and carry this on for a few days till the snake removes the shed.

This may sound like teaching your granny to suck eggs to some but some people dont know how to do it.Better safe than sorry

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
also if that dusnt work there is a spray called shed ease i think. Just spray on the snake and the skin shud come away pretty easily after that hope it works

·
Registered
27 Posts
shedding

if it was my snake id over spray the floor off the tub/viv so its really damp/wet. i find that in the morning its all off. hope this is off help to you. ricky.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've put her in a damp pillow case for a couple of hours tonight so we'll see how that goes. If not I'll try the damp tub next. This is my first snake, so I'm sure im more concerned than people with more experience of this sort of thing would be, but just wanna say thanks for the prompt help and reassurance.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
First of all, normally corns don't shed well when they were too dry during the shed period or sometimes the skin breaks in the middle if the skin gets caught somewhere.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but if the problems was dry skin, then it would help a bath, etc as many people already said, but if it was jus the skin that broke in the middle, with a bit of patience you should be able to take it off (just as if you were taking off your socks.

I have a corn (Charlie) who broke his spine in the middle. He recovered well, and he can move his lower part of the body, but he always have difficulties shedding, because it always break at that point where he broke the spine. So now I'm used to pulling off the skin from his lower part of the body.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little Cecilia has now completed her first shed fully! It's a great relief to have her back to normal and her colours look great. For any other newbies out there who may encounter the same problem, I set up a spare plastic viv with several layers of kitchen roll at the bottom. I then filled it with luke warm water so there was a few millimeters above the level of the kitchen roll.

Left her in there for an hour and came back to the rest of her patchy shed lying there in one piece!

Huge thanks to all those that took the time to respond to my post - your help is greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
good to hear it all worked out well

Take care

1 - 10 of 10 Posts