Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a pastel ball python that I recieved from a breeder at few months old at a bright colour, and so far he has been great but now at around 3 or 4 months old his scales seemed to have darkened in colour to a dark brown rather than yellowy brown?
This could be because he is shedding, but his eyes aren't cloudy at all.
Could you have an explination or idea on this?
Thank you :D

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
i believe most brown out as they get older.
That they do unfortunately, though 3-4 months is a little early maybe. I have a CB11 that is, comparatively, very yellow and golden in colour.

That said, I'm also convinced by Thrasops' school of thought regarding natural daylight prolonging / enhancing colouration, so I try to do what I can to ensure mine good good access to natural daylight as best as I can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a sub adult pastel and about 1-2 weeks before she goes into shed she looks a lot browner then her normal self. It sounds like yours is due for a shed and will probably turn blue in about a week or so and be back to it's normal pretty color :)

Pastels do brown out some with age, the brightness will depend on if the breeder chose quality parents or not.

Reactions: hattieverby10

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That they do unfortunately, though 3-4 months is a little early maybe. I have a CB11 that is, comparatively, very yellow and golden in colour.

That said, I'm also convinced by Thrasops' school of thought regarding natural daylight prolonging / enhancing colouration, so I try to do what I can to ensure mine good good access to natural daylight as best as I can.
Good luck with that mate. You may find that you are adding a light source that is stressful to the animal in question. If you keep a species that is nocturnal, in a box, and subject it to a source of high UV lighting in the hope it keeps its hatchling markings then you are missing the fundemental needs of the snake species.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to everyone, but especially thank you Copper! I was afraid he was starting to loose his colour already, but I didn't realise their colour could darken up to 2 weeks before their shed - thanks!

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Good luck with that mate. You may find that you are adding a light source that is stressful to the animal in question. If you keep a species that is nocturnal, in a box, and subject it to a source of high UV lighting in the hope it keeps its hatchling markings then you are missing the fundemental needs of the snake species.
Who said anything about "adding" a light source? I said access to natural daylight, try reading it through again. And missing the fundemental (sic) needs of the snake species? They are crepuscular rather than strictly nocturnal.

Once again Andy, for whatever reason, you've chosen to jump down my throat with nothing but assumptions as to how I choose to keep my animals. You talk about having many years of experience behind you, and you could so so easily be a keeper that I respect, yet rather, you choose to use this experience as an excuse to wee on other people shoes, rather than try and be in the remotest bit helpful and offer advice yourself. That is the sole difference between you, and the ones I look up to as a very limited experience novice, which is a real shame, as I'm sure I could learn a lot from you.

Now I'm not so sure what it is I've done to get your back up for you to seemingly follow me round this forum and target my posts at every opportunity, but rather than derail threads pointless (and not actually contribute to them) I invite you to PM me where hopefully we can have an adult conversation.

Sorry OP, this of course has nothing to do with your question, and for that I apologise on both mine and Andy's behalf.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Who said anything about "adding" a light source? I said access to natural daylight, try reading it through again. And missing the fundemental (sic) needs of the snake species? They are crepuscular rather than strictly nocturnal.

Once again Andy, for whatever reason, you've chosen to jump down my throat with nothing but assumptions as to how I choose to keep my animals. You talk about having many years of experience behind you, and you could so so easily be a keeper that I respect, yet rather, you choose to use this experience as an excuse to wee on other people shoes, rather than try and be in the remotest bit helpful and offer advice yourself. That is the sole difference between you, and the ones I look up to as a very limited experience novice, which is a real shame, as I'm sure I could learn a lot from you.

Now I'm not so sure what it is I've done to get your back up for you to seemingly follow me round this forum and target my posts at every opportunity, but rather than derail threads pointless (and not actually contribute to them) I invite you to PM me where hopefully we can have an adult conversation.

Sorry OP, this of course has nothing to do with your question, and for that I apologise on both mine and Andy's behalf.
Please dont apologise on my behalf. It is difficult not to notice or comment on your posts, they are constant, something akin to internet deli belly. Your choice of subject is royal pythons, and you post some strong opinions. That is fair enough. But when you post, for example, the use of UV lighting in Royal housing I feel I wanted to comment.

It is a bad idea, almost certainly detrimental to the species in question and something you can find out in your own time. However this is a public forum and I am fully entitled to put my view forward.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Please dont apologise on my behalf. It is difficult not to notice or comment on your posts, they are constant, something akin to internet deli belly. Your choice of subject is royal pythons, and you post some strong opinions. That is fair enough. But when you post, for example, the use of UV lighting in Royal housing I feel I wanted to comment.

It is a bad idea, almost certainly detrimental to the species in question and something you can find out in your own time. However this is a public forum and I am fully entitled to put my view forward.
I never used the word "UV". You imagined that. Nor did I say "additional lighting".

However, in the interests of constructive debate; Thrasops wrote a fairly lengthy and fascinating thread on his observations of activity levels, colouration, and breeding success attributed to the use of full spectrum lighting and UV lighting for his many species. Can I suggest that if you have not already seen it, that you give it a read - even though it may contradict your methods of keeping.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
You might want to work on your people skills : victory:

On a side note I too take my snakes out for some natural light when possible, natural light/UV etc contributes greatly to the colouration of amphibians and (i believe) lizards...why not snakes?

Back on topic, to me judging by the snakes age i'd be inclined to say an imminent shed like the others :2thumb: but early browning out could also be on the table.

Reactions: Se7enS1ns

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I never used the word "UV". You imagined that. Nor did I say "additional lighting".

However, in the interests of constructive debate; Thrasops wrote a fairly lengthy and fascinating thread on his observations of activity levels, colouration, and breeding success attributed to the use of full spectrum lighting and UV lighting for his many species. Can I suggest that if you have not already seen it, that you give it a read - even though it may contradict your methods of keeping.
I made the assumtion that by natural lighting you meant adding an a light source to the enclosure. If not that, I can only assume you take your Royals outside daily for a spot of sunbathing.

Indeed I have seen this thread, very interesting and of absolutely no relevence to the captive care, longevity or fecundity of royals in captivity. For good info on the latter I would refer to 'Pythons of the world, volume 2. Barker and Barker.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I made the assumtion that by natural lighting you meant adding an a light source to the enclosure. If not that, I can only assume you take your Royals outside daily for a spot of sunbathing.

Indeed I have seen this thread, very interesting and of absolutely no relevence to the captive care, longevity or fecundity of royals in captivity. For good info on the latter I would refer to 'Pythons of the world, volume 2. Barker and Barker.
Well, you know what they say about assumptions Andy :whistling2: But for clarity, no I don't take them for a wonder in the garden. I can't get them to keep their leads on. and they are crap at fetch.

Thanks for the reference - I'll add it to the list. Your brother also suggested one of interest which is top of my list, The Art of Keeping Snakes I believe it was.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, you know what they say about assumptions Andy :whistling2: But for clarity, no I don't take them for a wonder in the garden. I can't get them to keep their leads on. and they are crap at fetch.

Thanks for the reference - I'll add it to the list. Your brother also suggested one of interest which is top of my list, The Art of Keeping Snakes I believe it was.
A very good book but 15 years old now. Of no use to keeping Royals but some very good facts on bioactive vivariums. 'Art' is the key in that title and there are not many artists in the world.

Ive learned through experience dont make a messy canvass at the expence of your captives just because you think you might be a master!

Honestly mate get your hands on the VPI book. It is unmatched as a guide for keeping Royals. Probably the most in depth and well researched piece available on snakes by a long way.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
A very good book but 15 years old now. Of no use to keeping Royals but some very good facts on bioactive vivariums. 'Art' is the key in that title and there are not many artists in the world.

Ive learned through experience dont make a messy canvass at the expence of your captives just because you think you might be a master!

Honestly mate get your hands on the VPI book. It is unmatched as a guide for keeping Royals. Probably the most in depth and well researched piece available on snakes by a long way.
I'll bare that in mind... I think.

Well, it's been lovely conversing with you - and sincerely, I hope we can put our difference behind us, as aside from me being a little long in the tooth for nitpicking needlessly, it's not pleasant for anyone else I'm sure - there are no winners in tit-for-tat, just two sad old buggers with nothing better to moan about :2thumb:

Goodnight Andy :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'll bare that in mind... I think.

Well, it's been lovely conversing with you - and sincerely, I hope we can put our difference behind us, as aside from me being a little long in the tooth for nitpicking needlessly, it's not pleasant for anyone else I'm sure - there are no winners in tit-for-tat, just two sad old buggers with nothing better to moan about :2thumb:

Goodnight Andy :)
Piss off Se7enS1ns

(Ive been working on my people skills)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.