Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the net and came across this website: Ballroom Pythons South

It appears that pastels are now at their lowest ever in the US, just $100 (£50) for a male and $250 (£125) for a female..

Im shocked at just how low prices have fallen in just a few years, I'm guessing it wont be long before you can pick up pastels for the same price as a normal over here...

I dread to think what the next low priced morph will be and the impact its having on new breeders who are starting off small with low cost morphs.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
Well the first 07 pastel males were a steal at £325 on average and now crystal palace has them for £195 a year later (and I have seen them around cheaper). A fair price for an extremely common snake these days... Prices match availability and demand. I never understand why people are so concerned with US prices, they are not any reflection on how much a snake should cost in the UK.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not concerened with the US at all, just shocked at how a cracking starter morph costs next to nothing both there and here.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
Not concerened with the US at all, just shocked at how a cracking starter morph costs next to nothing both there and here.
I read recently that most big breeders in the states have been able to replace all their normal females with spider and pastel females as the prices are so low. I think the price of pastels reflects the fact that most people into royals have at least one... they are the staple morph. The same with spiders, they have reduced in price drastically. Everyone wants people to buy their hatchling morphs, therefore price wars happen and once one breeder puts their prices at a competative rate, nobody wants to pay over that. We are stingy when it comes to snakes... But at the end of the day an animal is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
471 Posts
But let's not forget that there are more and more people breeding snakes, so therefore it stands to reason that the prices simply have to come down. People are breeding various morphs from a tank in the front room etc.
For breeders who take their pride in what they do it can be a bitter pill to sell for less these days, but for the buying public........Nice!!

Just my inexperienced tuppence: victory:

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Its just co dom morphs for you, pastels, yellow bellies, spiders and mojaves are all down by crazy amounts this year : victory:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
One persons peril, is another persons gain....like mine:whistling2:

Both a spider, pastel and mojave are all on my wanted list.....:2thumb:

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
I think the US prices do affect the UK prices quite a lot as its now so easy to import your own reptiles from the US

It's now possible for importers to undercut UK breeders by a substantial amount and still turn a profit.

Its almost not worth breeding in the UK anymore..........

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Super pastels are still pricey as theyre a double co dom morph, im not sure what they'll be this year, i have them on my lists but ill keep quiet just now until i have a better idea of what the UK price is going to be as i dont want lynched tbh :lol2:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I think the US prices do affect the UK prices quite a lot as its now so easy to import your own reptiles from the US

It's now possible for importers to undercut UK breeders by a substantial amount and still turn a profit.

Its almost not worth breeding in the UK anymore..........
I agree with you mate, the prices of the high end corn morphs have dropped so much since a few people have been importing from the u.s. I dont have a problem with people importing for them selves, but some people are importing in bulk to sell on. This is not going to be good for the u.k breeders or the hobby as a whole. This kind of mass import isnt going to be good for the pet shops either. People on here are always moaning about pet shops(and there prices) but if they cant survive (and they wont with this much price competition) the whole rep industry will collapse. Because of all the bulk buying i my self am considering stopping breeding my corns, its just not going to be worth it. I dont do it for a proffit but would be nice to break even, at some point.
Sorry about the rant.:blush:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
surely though prices can't keep going down? they have to eventually settle at a price that makes breeding profitable. the whole industry is mad I think, every snake seems to get less expensive every year. what's gonna happen in the end? are people just gonna stop breeding and therefore stop keeping snakes because they sell for buttons? is that the future of the hobby? far too many people breed IMO and that's a huge cause of the instability of the industry.

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
I agree paul, with all of the imports form Europe and the US coming over either direct or via hamm, what future is there for the UK based breeder
if they are constantly undercut by everyone else? and they seem to set our prices for us.
How are all the budding breeders over here going to feel in a few years time, when they start to produce hatchlings,and have to virtually give their stock away ???

·
Registered
533 Posts
come on... its common sense

the prices will drop further

once they are down below 100£ they will settle - a normal will not drop much further than £30

its a like a bmw

they go down and down but then they stop at around 2-3k - as theres alot of car for any less than that amount of ££

more and more people are buying these snakes with the idea of making money

pastel males are not £50 in the states - they average about £100- some more depending on quality

ive checked a few of my sources

Pastel Males in this country i belive will be selling for £200 - £250 this year and around the £200 mark next year for a decent specimen

this is how i see it happening - although itas just an example

2008 - £225
2009 - £200
2010 - £150 (big drop as so many people are into them
2011 - £100
2012 - £90
2013 - £90
2014 - £85

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
biggest problem is that producing snakes in the UK is a far more expensive concern than it is either in USA or Europe,everything costs more here so its difficult to compete with imports.
regards gaz

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
surely though prices can't keep going down? they have to eventually settle at a price that makes breeding profitable. the whole industry is mad I think, every snake seems to get less expensive every year. what's gonna happen in the end? are people just gonna stop breeding and therefore stop keeping snakes because they sell for buttons? is that the future of the hobby? far too many people breed IMO and that's a huge cause of the instability of the industry.
Well, there's a stopping point for each species - in royals, CB normals seem to go for about £60, so pastels are never going to cost less than that unless the base price for normals goes down. In corns, normals go for about £20, so no morph will sell for less than that.

The price doesn't have to settle at a profitable price - in most pet animals, the price for well bred babies isn't profitable for the breeder (though sadly for the animals concerned many people make a few quid by cutting corners). In the end, if it's not profitable then all that will be left breeding are people who are breeding them because they genuinely have a passion for the species, not just because they think they will turn a big profit. And that will fix your problem of too many people breeding ....

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
There's another consideration with regards to the pastels, though...

What QUALITY of pastel are you going to be getting for £50?

Is it going to be one of the ones that looks like a normal at adulthood, and the only way you know it's a pastel is that it throws pastel offspring?

I'm betting the GOOD pastels will retain their value a lot longer - the ones that stay bright and clear and don't brown out - and if breeders aren't willing to selectively breed to improve their stock, they'll see the prices they can get drop, indeed.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Since this thread was started by linking Mikes website as having pastels at what works out to be £50 and the quality of an animal at that price is now being questioned i have to step in and say that the quality of Mikes animals is second to none. : victory:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts