Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given up my search for a het female now as I've just realised that my rapidly growing Slither is a female and if she keeps going at the rate she is I've been told that she will be ready to breed.

After speaking to Tom at CypressCreekReptiles, he said that he produces 50% hets yearly as the females are held back, so I will now take this approach and save up for a good looking pastel or spider.

Also some advise needed, i've just bought a 100 Het albino, if I breed the het pied to the het pied female will the offspring be 66% Het Pied/Albino?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Out of 4 offsrping, probability says you would get:
1 x albino
2 x het albino (normal looking)
1 x normal

So you'd have 3 normal looking snakes, 2 of which are het for albino, but you have no idea which ones! 2 out of 3 gives a 66(.6666...) % possibility of being het for albino - you would have to breed and produce albinos to prove it.

Of course, these figures are all based on probability, so you might get all albinos, or all normals.

So... if you prove one of the 3 to be het for albino, do you reclass the other 2 as 50% het, or is the probability of an individual carrying a gene unaffected by others in the clutch? I think they would still be 66%...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
100% het albino X 100% het pied

would give babies who are 50% het pied and albino

100% het albino X 100% het albino

would give you the 66% hets..

they have to both be het for the same thing, to give 66% basically..

tbh, if you already have a het i would have spent the money getting the matching het for it..

remember, the snake needs to be OLD enough to breed, not just fat enough..

i mean, you would not take an 11 year old girl... feed her up to 16 stone by the time she was 12, and then say she was fat enough to breed would you??

their bodies are not physically mature enough in all cases, to cope with pregnancy and birth, and no more should you do it to an immature snake, for the same reasons..

if you breed your snake too young, you may affect the clutch sizes for the rest of her life.. and put her at risk of egg binding and potential death. i can't put it an awful lot simpler than that really, breeding "underage" snakes is bad for their health. "big enough" is not always "old enough"

Nerys

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
deaon - he is talking about mating a 100% het pied, with a 100% het albino

(which is a waste of time in my eyes!)

N

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
talltom69 said:
i've just bought a 100 Het albino, if I breed the het pied to the het pied female will the offspring be 66% Het Pied/Albino?
:oops: Sorry! Read the 'I've bought a albino', then registered breeding 'het pied to the het pied', so same het, but still had albino in my head... no idea how pieds work... got a bit confused sorry :cry:

Anyway, that's how breeding hets with the same recessive (Is that right? Not dominant...) gene works...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes

100% het to 100% het gives you the stats you said

BUT.... ONLY if the hets are the same to begin with!!!

both have to be het for the same thing.. doesn't matter if its albino or pied.. they have to both be het albino or both be het pied, in order to get 66% hets out..

i think tallboy wrote it wrong, from his sig, he has a het pied and and a het albino..

he put:

i've just bought a 100 Het albino, if I breed the het pied to the het pied female will the offspring be 66% Het Pied/Albino?

what i think he meant to put, given that he then says 66% het pied/albino, and given what he says he just bought, and given his signature info..

is

i've just bought a 100 Het albino, if I breed the het albino to the het pied female will the offspring be 66% Het Pied/Albino?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Yeah, thats what I realised and apologised about. I read 'het pied to the het pied' and fired off an answer based on that (ie same het), but called it an albino. As I said I got confused...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Budgie's are way easier to work out :!:

soz could'nt resist

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant to put het pied, to het albino..

Would other view this as a wasted project, its mainly for myself to hopefully breed an albino or pied, or should luck be on my side (1 in million) an albino pied.

Im not out to try and make money, just some colour in my viv's and some cool snakes in my collection.

Cheers for the comments.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Sounds like a waste then, if you need 2 pairs of genes, then there is no luck involved (unless they have hidden genes, which would be REALLY lucky!), if you breed het pied with Het albino, there will be nothing but normal looking offspring, and as these are all only possible hets, its pot luck if you get anything by breeding them together in 3 years time (although the odds of a albino pied then would be beter than 1 in a million, although I don't know how these genes affect each other - does this have it's own 'name'?).

You need a visual albino or a visual pied now, to breed with the corresponding het. This gives (out of 4 offsping) 2 visual and 2 100% het offspring.

Good luck!

D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts