Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, don't know if this is the right place, but does anyone here keep peacock mantis shrimp? I need a few pointers on setting up an environment for one...when I say pointers I'm completely new to saltwater tanks, well fish tanks in general as I've never owned any water based creatures before but really fancy keeping one.

Thanks in advance : victory:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have been doing a good bit of research on them I was after some hands on experience :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I have read only specimens 8 inch + have the ability to smash glass aquaria with their dactyls, but most accounts are exaggerated. Also apparently the owner has been antagonising them at the glass..spearer type stomatopods tend to sit at the burrow entrance where as smashers come out and forage for shelled prey. Like I said I have done some research, just wanted to see if anyone on here kept one : victory:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a far as knowledge goes if it was about reptiles or tarantulas, I'm your man haha but yeah as far as fish keeping, aquarist skills etc I am a complete and utter noob :blush: I've never had an interest to keep fish but only recently seen that people keep mantis shrimps as pets, and thought that would be cool. I know what you mean with shifting it on as a lot of people have said they are considered pests and sometimes appear as unwanted hitches in live rock and destroy prize collections of expensive fish. As far as I go I love to learn so hit me with anything info you can, I have heard they are sensitive to water chemistry, light intensity and airborne chemicals.

Tank size I have seen people say 20 gallon will do an adult for life and others say 30 plus?? Have looked at skimmers and a power head, but don't know all the ins and outs as it's still on the 'prototype project phase' at the min. No condescension taken I need every detail however minute :2thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts