Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I found out today that peas are very bad for turtles, ive been feeding my turtle peas for about 2 months now because he is very picky about what he eats, i.e. he wont eat pallets or leafy foods. He mainy prefers worms, crickets and peas.

I recently moved him into a large pond outside and he seems ok, basking regularly and chasing the goldfish. bit concerned today as he hasnt come up to bask but still chasing the fish around so i guess hes just give the sunning a break for today.

back to the original topic, have i done any permanent damage? and how can i get him to eat other foods his diet is far to high in protiens

thanks
sham

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I doubt a couple of months has done too much harm, don't worry about it.

The way to get turts to eat the foods you want them to eat is to feed them nothing else! They're very good at holding out for "sweeties", but you need to be strict with them and not give them any, turts aren't stupid and won't starve to death if there's something edible on offer, even if it's not what they'd really like.

How old is he BTW?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thats good to hear,

hes about 5 years old maybe 6, he used to eat pallets before although while i was working away my other half had been looking after him for about 9months so i guess he got used to eating the treats more.

thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts