Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last month my hoggy's been acting kind of weird. We've had her for just a year and she was an adult when we got her. I wonder if it is because it's brumation time for them (and I should just leave her alone) but when it's toward normal feeding day for her she's jumpy and feisty and pretty much does her cobra act when the mouse (or me) goes in - but isn't interested in the mouse. Last time I left it a few days then tried to feed her and it was all back to normal again. Is this normal for adult hoggies?

Thank God for an every-hungry sav that'll eat anything 8)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
At this time of year a lot of the hogs will wind down their feeding a bit - its not too unusual. Have you tried leaving her boxed up with the food? It may be that your presence is stressing her and preventing her from eating. Sometimes they can be so caught up in their defense display that they forget the food is there!

Her behaviou towards feeding day suggests she is still hungry, but she may take less often over the next few months.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could try putting a blanket over top of her viv - but I've never needed to before I've even videoed her taking a mouse once. Her viv is in a low traffic area - but I guess I've been a bit paranoid about her not eating same as normal and keep sneaking a peek to see if it's gone.

I'll leave her absolutely in peace fore a couple of hours - if it isn't gone the sav gets another meal :p

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Lol, one of the many upsides to having a Sav....complete dustbins!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed there - they never refuse anything :lol:

Well the mouse is gone ... opened viv, mouse grabbed, swallowed - all in one second ... yep, the monitor had it. Anyone want to swap a hognose for an argus so I have something ready for when the big snakes don't want to eat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts