Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I've been offered a baby royal.....
But my local council already said I cant have a corn snake as they "get too big".....pfft....stupid council...

My tenancy says I'm not allowed "dangerous" animals-
Just wanted to know how big royals get-

And for any people living in council flats, whether you own any snakes and whether anyone's said anything about them! =)

I'm thinking I should just- get said snake (I've been wanting one for aaages but limited myself to geckos.
Then, if it ever becomes an issue, say that they should prove its dangerous or its not going anywhere.
The council will have a hard time finding solid evidence that royals are dangerous, they'll just allow me to keep it?

What do you think?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Royals get to the same length and are about three times thicker and a lot heavier than a corn of similar length.

I would ask your council what they believe is a 'safe' length - and then find a snake that doesn't normally exceed that. If they think five to six feet is too big, you're probably looking at house snakes, sand boas, rosy boas, hognoses and other small but stocky snakes.

That said, I'm sure there have been VERY few hospitalisations and no deaths due to sub-10-foot non-venomous snakes in the UK.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
i would ignore the council and get the royal :censor::censor::censor: just don't let them in if they come snooping and don't tell too many people you keep it :devil::2thumb: sorted !

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
i would ignore the council and get the royal :censor::censor::censor: just don't let them in if they come snooping and don't tell too many people you keep it :devil::2thumb: sorted !
But if it's a council owned flat, doesn't the landlord have the right to inspect?

And why give other reptile keepers who are renting a bad name by making it look like we'll ALL try to hide our animals if we're not allowed to have them by the terms of our housing contract? (Though the bank and I own my house, it's still a valid observation...)

I mean, wouldn't you scream bloody murder if your landlord didn't fix the heating in your flat block on time? Not doing so is a breach of contract... well, so is bringing in a pet that's not allowed by the terms of the contract.

Better to get permission than have to find a new home because you assumed you could ask forgiveness later and turned out to be wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
But if it's a council owned flat, doesn't the landlord have the right to inspect?

And why give other reptile keepers who are renting a bad name by making it look like we'll ALL try to hide our animals if we're not allowed to have them by the terms of our housing contract? (Though the bank and I own my house, it's still a valid observation...)

I mean, wouldn't you scream bloody murder if your landlord didn't fix the heating in your flat block on time? Not doing so is a breach of contract... well, so is bringing in a pet that's not allowed by the terms of the contract.

Better to get permission than have to find a new home because you assumed you could ask forgiveness later and turned out to be wrong.
You don't have to let council officials inside the premises:)

I've not asked for permission for most of my lot. I asked for permission for a pair of corn snakes and a leopard gecko when I moved in. I come here with 21 snakes (one of which was at the time a 10ft burm), few lizards, 2 turtles and since got a bengal cat which the housing officer must be aware of as I put a cat-flap in the front door (without asking).

Basically if no-one complains to them then there's no problem. The moment a neighbour kicks up a fuss though it'd create probs. Luckily I get on with all my neighbours (new one has moved in though so we'll see what happens). They don't like snakes but seem ok with me having them.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Hey
I've been offered a baby royal.....
But my local council already said I cant have a corn snake as they "get too big".....pfft....stupid council...

My tenancy says I'm not allowed "dangerous" animals-
Just wanted to know how big royals get-

And for any people living in council flats, whether you own any snakes and whether anyone's said anything about them! =)

I'm thinking I should just- get said snake (I've been wanting one for aaages but limited myself to geckos.
Then, if it ever becomes an issue, say that they should prove its dangerous or its not going anywhere.
The council will have a hard time finding solid evidence that royals are dangerous, they'll just allow me to keep it?

What do you think?
Tell the council they are not listed under the dangerous wild animals act and pose no serious risk to any human.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
just tell them the only danger Royals pose is to your wallet as you collect more and more. :2thumb::devil:

·
Registered
704 Posts
As per the legal definition of a 'Dangerous Animal', you may not get an animal that is currently registered under the 'Dangerous Wild Animals Act'.
(i'm assuming here that you do live in the UK)
After that, the animals you may keep are the ones that are not specifically listed as 'not allowed animals' on the contract you signed with whomever.
e.g if a sabre toothed tiger is not listed under the DWA and is not specifically listed as an animal that you cannot keep on your premises, then it is perfectly legal for you to keep one, and not one person may bring an action against you (including the council) without the whole issue going through a civil court.

Simple.

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
A brother of one of my mates has a friend whos corn ate his whole leg in one bite.

Just get the corn and hide it if they come around. If they want to come in they have to give you notice beforehand anyway

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
hi if it was me i would get it anyway. i managed to keep a 7ft black rat in a 4ft long viv when i had a privately rented flat that said ( no pets ) i just turned her light off,put the heat mat on and covered the viv with a sheet the land lady didn't have a clue she was there

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
yes they do but have to give you at least 24hrs notice, in writting 1st, therefore giving time to get snake out for the day if needed

Tell the council they are not listed under the dangerous wild animals act and pose no serious risk to any human.
this is true
I reallly didn't expect so many replies so quickly, lol.......

Thank you to everybody.
its a pleasure, and if i was you i wudnt bother, a friend of mine has over 50 snakes n lives in a council flat, as already stated if its a dangerous animal then it is on dwa list n royals n corns are not.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Another legal definition for you:

Technically a snake, or any reptile that is kept fully enclosed (yes even though it can come out at times under the owners supervision) can be legally defined as a hobby as oppose to a pet.

Therefore, with definitions sliding to fit both parties, (should an issue arise) you do have the benefit of getting a court to finalise a definition of exactly what a snake is classed as for the purposes of tenency agreements, this classification would change all UK law and would very likely find it's way up to the House of Lords for further scrutiny.....it wouldn't get this far not without a REAL issue, so in your case it would turn out to be who backs down first.
Now that you know this, well, you have more to back you up should anything be brought up.

I did this very same thing myself only 4 months ago when moving into my student accomodation. The student accomodation company couldn't find legislation supporting their beliefs that a snake was a pet, and thus had to back away gracefully even though the contract clearly said 'no pets allowed'. :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I live in a council property with my 6' BCI :)

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Wow, I did not know this.

This could come in very useful :)

Another legal definition for you:

Technically a snake, or any reptile that is kept fully enclosed (yes even though it can come out at times under the owners supervision) can be legally defined as a hobby as oppose to a pet.

Therefore, with definitions sliding to fit both parties, (should an issue arise) you do have the benefit of getting a court to finalise a definition of exactly what a snake is classed as for the purposes of tenency agreements, this classification would change all UK law and would very likely find it's way up to the House of Lords for further scrutiny.....it wouldn't get this far not without a REAL issue, so in your case it would turn out to be who backs down first.
Now that you know this, well, you have more to back you up should anything be brought up.

I did this very same thing myself only 4 months ago when moving into my student accomodation. The student accomodation company couldn't find legislation supporting their beliefs that a snake was a pet, and thus had to back away gracefully even though the contract clearly said 'no pets allowed'. :2thumb:

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Royals arent big snakes!! It also depends what he classes as a dangerous animal. A Corn is not as dangerous as a Rottweiler, but i'd bet they'd prefer you have one of them than a snake!! Try and persuade them or just buy it and don't listen to them. The choice is yours!!:2thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts